Cold keg box from a Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattm3

Reaction score
Hey,

I have an unused refrigerator that I'd like to use for homebrew kegs. I'm also building a bar. I want to incorporate the fridge into the bar and I don't have a lot of room to work with.

One idea that I've come up with, based on countless Internet searches, is taking the guts from my fridge and using them to make an insulated cold/keg box under the bar.

The fridge is a standard size, freezer on top model.

I found a website that claims it's possible and offers plans, but I've seen bad reviews about the plans.

My guess is that it would be much easier to do this with a mini-fridge given that all of the freon goes into the freezer part which can be removed with the compressor. But I don't have a mini-fridge. Is it even possible with a full-size fridge?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or has anyone built a bar and successfully blended a full-size fridge into the design?

Thanks,
Matt

yeah, I've seen Dude's and I like it... but I don't have a mini-fridge... unless anyone wants to trade me a full-size for a mini? In Western Maryland?

The newer full size/mini fridges have the condensor built into the fridge under the casing.

You need to pull it all out in tact with out puncturing it. I used a plastic paint scraper to scrape all the foam away and then carefully pulled all the tubing away. Took me 3 hours to do a small mini fridge.

Shame you didnt ask for one a month ago. I had a whole refridgeration system I ended up throwing away.

If you find an older fridge with the radiator style condensor on the back you are better off!

Virtuous said:
If you find an older fridge with the radiator style condensor on the back you are better off!

I think that's what I have. It's older and has a radiator type thing on the back. I'll have to look at it a little closer and see if it would be possible to take it apart.

Back