Cold ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhult

Reaction score
If you accidently fermented too cold with a yeast. Say wyeast 1056 at say 2 celcuis for 2 days. What kind off flavors would you get?

Your beer will be very sweet, low in alcohol, and have many wort like characteristics...aka it won't ferment :) Warm it up to ferm temp, rouse the yeast and if you don't see activity (or I'd just do this anyway) pitch a new pack of yeast. This is all assuming it's at the start of fermentation not during or after?

Burrrr

My hunch is nothing happened chemically or biologically. The poor yeast was in a state of cryogenic suspension :)

Warm it up and see what happens, worse case you killed some so the result would be similar to under-pitching. If it doesn't go, re-pitch.

Yeah that cold it didnt ferment. That said Ive had 1056 in the low 60s and got a weird peachy fruity flavor that I hated. Always upper 60s for me on that yeast from now on.

Yeah that cold it didnt ferment. That said Ive had 1056 in the low 60s and got a weird peachy fruity flavor that I hated. Always upper 60s for me on that yeast from now on.

Making note of that. wife hates beer, loves all things peach, might try a batch of something in the low 60's :)

Just kidding. Sounds gross.

Ok well what happened was both were started in the basement for 2 days. It was kind of warm out. I was fermenting at 72F. I have a back room that isnt heated that stays around 60-65 F in the summer months so i moved it in there. That night it dropped to just above 32. And..... i forgot about it for 2 days. So i then broght it back inside. One batch fermented down to 1.010. The other is slowing going at 1.018 today. Think this is day 8 or 9. Anyway same single malt bill. Different hops but they taste very simular. The flavor i cant even find a word for.....

Latest posts

Back