Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well never did it before. Two days ago I began cranking down the temp in my frementing freezer. It's sitting at 53 right now. Plan to leave it like that till Friday night. Then bring in the house to slowly warm up to bottle Saturday morning. It's a porter so being "clear" isn't to important but.....

Whatcha think? :mug:

I think you don´t need it to warm up. You just can bottle/keg cold.

My fermenting freezer is outside. I usually bring the bucket up the night before so that any trub I shake up moving has a chance to settle back to the bottom. But thanks for the comment.

That makes sense, as you said being a porter clarity is not very important but I cold crash every batch, I had one or to batches that even fark looked a little murky and cold crashing help me a lot with that. Ok is not a clear beer but it seems brigther somehow.

I'd go lower than 55 with it for a day or two. IME, the colder it is, the quicker it clears.

CGVT said:
I'd go lower than 55 with it for a day or two. IME, the colder it is, the quicker it clears.

Agreed. 55 really isn't even close to "cold crashing". The low 30s would be more like it...

Cheers!

Cold crashing, to clear a beer, needs to be at 32 to really work. You're just wasting time if it's above that.

Well I filled 19 bottles from 1.75 gallons of a Robust Porter. Had a pretty thick trub layer and I got just about every drop of porter off the trub. Weather bringing it down to 53 did any good I don't know but it couldn't hurt and the sample tasted good. SG went from 1.066 to 1.012 giving me approx 7% which is above standard but shoots, don't bother me. LOL

I keg, but i try to cold crash at least 2 days prior to kegging. I just put the carboy in a tote that I use as a swamp cooler, and fill with about 10-20 lbs of ice. Cover and let sit for a day or two, maybe replace the ice if its warm and it melts quickly. This typically clears it up nicely. Im not sure what temp it gets down to but I would imagine low 30's. I would think you would want the temp as low as possible, Im not sure 50s would do the trick, but let us know if it does.

Back