cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_sloth

Reaction score
can someone explain to me exactly what this does and how to do it (or a good way to as i am sure there are numerous methods.) I understand the concept, what temps are we talking? for what period of time. I ferment in basement which is in 60's, I could move my beer outside in the shed to get to lower temps. If I do that, will the wort still be warmer in the fermentor? And if so how much warmer as fermentation would have subsided at that point.

I have not experience any ill effects in my brews thus far.

Cold crashing assist in the floculation of yeast and also will reduce "chill haze" if you crash it fast enough (search HBT for chill haze for more info).

The idea is to get the beer temp from fermentation temps down to around 32 deg as quickly as possible and then keep it there for 24-48 hours. I wouldn't go much below 32 or you could see some ice crystals, depending on the ABV of your beer.

If you don't have a temp controlled freezer to use you could put it outside. If the outside temp is below freezing you would need to keep a close eye on the temp of the fermenter somehow.

All in all, cold crashing is more for cosmetic reasons, IMHO. If you are ok with a little haze then it isn't really worth the effort. It shouldn't change the flavor of the beer.

I just throw my carboy in the fridge a day or two before I rake it to a keg. This of course means you would need the fridge space. It should work fine outside too, I just wouldn't let it set overnight or anything prolonged like that. But if it's to much trouble I just wouldn't bother with it.

Back