Cold crashing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPLEMSU

Reaction score
i am cold crashing right now outisde in my breeze way...i live in michigan so it is very cold outside...

how long should i leave it out for?? it has went thru primary fermentation and is ready to keg.

can i lave it outside for 2-3 days??? its 30 degrees outside.

or can i cold crash for 1.5 days and then bring back in the house for a day before kegging??? will this have a negative affect on the cold crashing i just did?

30F is a hair too low IMO. And why would you bring it in and wait? Bring it in and keg it. I don't have an answer as to the consequences of waiting a day or so on bringing it in. I think that a day wouldn't be too bad if you were careful not to stir up any sediment. However, with the return to warmer temps, it is possible to re-activate some yeast activity, which would stir up sediment on it's own.

As. Long as it doesn't freeze a few days is fine. No need to warm it up, just keg it cold. I have bottled beer that had ice in it going from fermentor to the bottling bucket and it bottle carbed fine.

Sounds a bit too cold, but it does make a huge difference. I cold crashed my last Ale in the garage for a day and its super clear. My first batch had a bit of haze.

great to hear...this is my 1st batch and i guess that i need to keg tonight then so i dont leave it outside for to long and it ends up freezing...

Do you have a garage? My attached garage stays 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps. I cold crashed in my garage for 3 days on my 2 Hearted batch. Worked out perfect.

Also agree on bottling or kegging cold. No reason to warm it up first, even if you are naturally priming.

Back