Cold crashing to drop krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjuicy

Reaction score
Will cold crashing drop the krausen that is sitting at the top of my fermenter. I Started primary more than 2 weeks ago and the krausen has produced like this leathery looking layer at the top. I plan on letting it sit for about a week more then cold crashing and/or racking to a secondary.

When you say leathery - do you mean brownish color that surrounds the upper edges of the carboy? Krausen is typically white or whitish-green and you should avoid cold crashing until after the krausen falls - AND - you've used your hydrometer to confirm that fermentation is complete.

If it's a brownish sand like material at the top of the carboy/bucket, then what you are looking at isn't krausen, but the remnants of fermentation called brown hefe. Brown hefe is trub (such as spent proteins), yeast, and left over hops. You do NOT want this in your beer and should avoid getting this into your bottling bucket as it will impart a very bitter taste.

Latest posts

Back