Cold Crashing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFc

Reaction score
Making 3 gal in a 3 gal carboy. Just reached 1.010 and it tastes yummy. Want to cold crash it but the carboy is too big so I'm going to siphon into three 1 gal demis.

My questions are:

1) is there a max time limit on cold crashing? I'm going out of town for a month and want to leave it in the fridge for about 5 weeks. Is the rule of thumb "the longer the better" or at some point is there no further gain? Is the cider actually 'aging' during the cold crash process in a way that would enhance the flavor or benefit the drink?

2) when cold crashing should the demi be plugged completely or would I use an airlock?

Thanks!

I would rack the demis a few days into the crash, so that you remove the yeast. The crash will shock the yeast so that it flocs to the bottom, but after multiple weeks of sitting there, it may revive depending on yeast and temps. I usually only let it set 4-5 days max before racking off the yeast that drops in the crash. Usually 2 days. After that, it can sit in the fridge for as long as you want. what yeast are you using and what are fridge temps?

the problem is that the 3 gal won't fit in the fridge which is why I wanted to rack 1st. The fridge temp is 37F and the yeast is organic apple peel soak in apple juice for 5 days.

In order to do a reliable cold crash, you need to rack both before and after chilling the cider. Wild yeasts are pretty tough to crash though, so I'd go with GK's advice - put airlocks on these and just keep them in the fridge. They will probably drop a couple more points while you are gone. A 2nd racking after they have chilled a few days will slow any further fermentation.

I'm surprised that I need an airlock considering the cold crashing is suspending the fermentation, isn't it?

Gallon jugs are not designed to hold pressure. I would always use an airlock or you may find a puddle when you come home in a month. Fermentation does not stop instantly when you put it in the fridge. So, pressure can build up. Also, there is CO2 in solution from fermentation. Pressure builds when it comes out of solution. Just try shaking up a can of beer before you open it.

A guy in my homebrew club brewed a batch of beer at a friend's house. He only had a solid stopper with him. Despite already pitching his yeast, he figured it would be okay for the short ride home. When he got home, he carried the carboy into the house and then went to unload the car. While he was outside, the carboy exploded. There were shards of glass stuck in the walls. He's lucky it didn't explode while he was driving home.

What temps are you guys cold crashing at? I'd like to try it on my next batch but don't have fridge space. I'm assuming that the 5% or so alcohol won't prevent it from freezing if I toss it in the deep freeze. If I wait a month or two, I may be able to do it outside or in the garage. I'm considering trying to keg and it would be a great way to leave a little residual sugar.

I'm surprised that I need an airlock considering the cold crashing is suspending the fermentation, isn't it?

For an ale yeast, I wouldnt bother with an airlock, and just use a stopper, but wild yeast can be fairly resistant to cold temps. If you are gone a long time, chances of blowing a stopper out and oxidizing are good.

What temps are you guys cold crashing at?

I crash at 30-32 degrees. below that it will freeze.

Back