Cold crashing in primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
So I used to never secondary cause I heard it wasn't necessary. But then I started adding gelatin and cold crashing so before adding it rack to a carboy add the gelatin and crash it. Can I just add the gelatin to the primary and crash it after two weeks or should I continue rack it and then add and cold crash?

Yes, you can cold crash the primary, but I'm wondering about the reason for the time of two weeks. I comment because I cold crash or dry hop, when part of the brew process is completed, not when a specified amount of time has gone by.

Well the beer is done fermenting, by about a week, I like to give it a little time to clean itself up. So I usually let it sit in the primary about two weeks before transferring it then about two more weeks in a secondary and cold crashing it. What would you recommend?

Well the beer is done fermenting, by about a week, I like to give it a little time to clean itself up. So I usually let it sit in the primary about two weeks before transferring it then about two more weeks in a secondary and cold crashing it. What would you recommend?

Okay, I thought you meant, it was two weeks since the fermentation began and now it's time to rack. In my mind at the moment, it sounded like fermentation may or may not have been complete.

I usually just leave the beer in the primary for three weeks to clear. Occasionally cold crash after a dry hop.

Okay, I thought you meant, it was two weeks since the fermentation began and now it's time to rack. In my mind at the moment, it sounded like fermentation may or may not have been complete.

I usually just leave the beer in the primary for three weeks to clear. Occasionally cold crash after a dry hop.

Got it

Back