Cold Crashing Before Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKelly

Reaction score
I went through quite a few pages of the General Techniques section hunting for an answer to this, so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here. What are people's thoughts on cold crashing before dry hopping? I can't completely remember, but I recall reading somewhere that dropping the yeast out of suspension helps maintain the hop aroma.

Thanks all!

The problem with CC before dry hopping is that the hop oils will not enter into solution as readily when cold. Just give it more time on the hops.

I would assume you would raise the temp back up after the cold crash, so the hop flavor xfer would be more effective. I would believe this would be no different than what would be done if using a secondary.

I'd like to add some more to what other's thoughts are:
I believe I saw an old discussion that cold crashing first could limit the yeast from coating the hops, so if you don't CC then the yeast would attach to the hops and limit flavor and aroma? I'd like to see the science on that one.
But, would the yeast help drag the pellet hops to the bottom during cold crashing?

Last edited:
This is great help. I just brewed this IPA yesterday so it won't be a little while until I dry hop, but shall post my findings here when the beer is done. Thanks!

This was excellent advice. I followed your technique best I could and the result is very pleasant. I just opened my first bottle after only 4 days of bottle conditioning and the taste is terrific. The nose is strong but not overwhelming, the taste is hoppy with a touch of malty sweetness, and the clarity is about as good as it gets with a wheat based beer. Thanks for the advice kombat!

This was excellent advice. I followed your technique best I could and the result is very pleasant. I just opened my first bottle after only 4 days of bottle conditioning and the taste is terrific. The nose is strong but not overwhelming, the taste is hoppy with a touch of malty sweetness, and the clarity is about as good as it gets with a wheat based beer. Thanks for the advice kombat!

kombat will give you sound advice. Good to hear that you heeded it with nice results.

^^ Key point there:

Gelatin can strip hop oils out of the beer, thus contradicting the whole point of dry hopping. So you want to dry hop AFTER you've done your main clarification task.

Back