Cold Crashing after 3 days of fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, some time ago I found some yeast that does the fermentation. I didnt find it useful because I was ok taking a month to get the beer into bottles. But I have this party I want to bring different beers. So I was wondering if I would buy this yeast, and it would be ok to check gravity and Cold crash as soon as I get to target FG. put gelatin and leave it some days, then Quick carb and bottle, the just wait till it gets done. What do you think?

I've never heard of a yeast that will for sure ferment a wort in 3 days. I would do 7 days as an absolute minimum. I have never packaged a beer in less than 14 days.

Then the shortest I have done was kegging and it took force carbing and another week to get right.

In bottle conditioning, I have had some fully carbonated at 2 weeks but ALL of my bottled beers tasted better at 3 weeks or longer.

So the minimum when kegging was 3 weeks and when bottling 5 weeks. Most were not rushed and took 6 and up to a couple months before I started drinking them

Most of the really fast yeasts are also pretty solid diacetyl producers. So even if they’re finished they need longer to clean up. You could potentially bottle spund... as long as you’re 100% sure of the FG you could bottle with .02 to go and have a fully carbed beer. If you leave them for 4-6 days at room temp or higher they might clean up?? If you use kettle finings and something like 002 that floccs really hard to you might even end up with somewhat clear beer.

That being said you could easily end up with butter laden bottle bombs. If you try it let us know how it goes.

Back