Cold crash wyeast 5335? 1st sour...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Hi, we are trying to get the details worked out for our 1st sour. We plan to kettle sour. Our issue is the timing of the boil. We will only be able to mash on Saturday then finish the boil the next Saturday. If we pitch the lacto and it reaches the ph range early can we cold crash to stop the ph from dropping anymore until we can boil? Long time brewers trying trying something new any other tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Another option would be to just bring the wort to a boil for a minute or two to kill the lacto... then you can keep cold until next weekend. I'm sure cold crashing would keep lacto activity down, but you may still get some additional souring.

I would worry more about wild or brewing yeast getting in during that time. Buchneri can take several days to sour anyway, so focus on making sure it stays sanitary. And yeah, chilling will slow down any further souring pretty well.

I would worry more about wild or brewing yeast getting in during that time. Buchneri can take several days to sour anyway, so focus on making sure it stays sanitary. And yeah, chilling will slow down any further souring pretty well.
We will be fermenting in a closed keg so no worries on bugs getting in. We won't be able to do any additional heating before 1 week so cold crashing will be our best option. Thanks guys!

Just made a new post on this but I figure I'd try here too. We are now using the wlp677. I've read it can be a bit tricky to get to sour. What are thoughts with doing a grain/677 starter? Hand full of grain with enough lactic acid added to drop ph so the nasties stay out then the 677 on top of it. Ensures I have a good starter and that the beer sours properly, maybe adds some complexity.. Thoughts

Back