Cold crash... Whats it for, and should I bother?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadamxtr

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've created a few batches of cider already, and im still experimenting. So far I have not cold crashed, however I have seen it mentioned a few times.

From what I gather it is the process of placing your brew into the fridge after fermentation? And it sounds like this somehow can improve the flavour and also help yeast settle.

My current batch has been racked for a few days, looks like fermentation has finished. I was going to let it sit and age for a little while, maybe a few weeks. Is there any point in me cold crashing it first?

Should a brew be transfered to a new container after cold crashing to seperate it from the sediment?

How does this differ from just having it bottled and then placing the bottles in the fridge?

Cold crashing is to clarify faster. I just leave the cider in the FV until it's clear; I'm not in a hurry and have never had a problem with leaving it there for a month or more. You can cold crash in the bottle but if your cider isn't pretty clear going in you'll have more lees in the bottom.

On a related question, after cold crashing, can the fermentation process start up again after taking the brew out of the fridge if there is some sugar still left? I assume it must do so that you can bottle carbonate.

Rack, cold crash rack, KC Super Kleer and rack. Gets you a nice clear cider in 7 to 10 days vs. A month or two if your in a hurry. But nothing beats a month or two if your going to age it a bit anyway.

Latest posts

Back