Cold crash/ Temp change question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbrew_jr

Reaction score
My beer has been in my primary for a week as of tomorrow. The temp is cooling at night down to 50 at night, prob 60 in my basement if i leave the windows open stays about 70 if i dont. During the day stays between 70-73. I

Is the drop to 60 any sort of benefit to settling sediment and stuff out? or that is not cold enough for the traditional "cold crash"? Even if the temp decrease does not help the beer will it negatively impact the beer in any way.

Fermentation is basically over, and the temp was held steady between 69-72 for the past week.

It may help to drop some stuff out but not much. I cld crash mine down to 32-33 and over night, clears up pretty quickly. Temp changes within that range won't harm your beer.

Depending on what you are brewing it would probably be better in general to keep it in the 60s during fermentation. I don't know if I would say it is done unless you have measured it, but the bulk of fermentation is probably done so the temp fluctuations aren't as big of a deal. At the beginning though I would not let it get to be 72 degrees, that means your beer is probably high 70s which can put out off taste. I would not think of cold crashing it a week a week into fermentation, but in another week or 2 see if you can get it down to the 50s or lower, that will start to clear it up.

I can't answer all of your questions, but from my experience higher fermentation temperatures have resulted in FAR worse issues in the beer than lower temperatures have. Liquid takes much longer to change temperature than air so I doubt your temporary maximum air temp of 73 has any negative effect on your brew. In fact, depending on the yeast, and consistent temp in the lower 70's is within the optimal range, maybe slightly high but will mellow out when aged.

Good luck

Back