Cold Crash Strait To Bottle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Doing my first cold crash. Do I go strait to bottling or should I let the beer warm up a bit before bottling.

Also, plan to wash the yeast. Do I need to let it warm up to room temp before I add the room temperature washing water?

Thanks,

John

You should bottle/condition it as close to 70 as you can for optimal carbing.

For conditioning (carbing) yes I agree, but why bottle @ 70 degrees?

My experience is the opposite. The first time I cold-crashed was using wlp570, a very low flocculating yeast. It took nearly 2 weeks @ 33 degrees or so for the yeast to fall out of suspension, but it was a beautifully clear beer. Then I set the carboy on the counter overnight to bottle in the morning. The yeast had completely resuspended itself, I am guessing due to some CO2 coming out of solution and the yeast catching a ride on CO2 bubbles to the top.

So, quick answer, bottle straight from cold crash. But make sure to gently stir the priming solution in your bottling bucket and/or chill the soln to the beer temp to ensure a good mix between the two liquids.

For conditioning (carbing) yes I agree, but why bottle @ 70 degrees?

My experience is the opposite. The first time I cold-crashed was using wlp570, a very low flocculating yeast. It took nearly 2 weeks @ 33 degrees or so for the yeast to fall out of suspension, but it was a beautifully clear beer. Then I set the carboy on the counter overnight to bottle in the morning. The yeast had completely resuspended itself, I am guessing due to some CO2 coming out of solution and the yeast catching a ride on CO2 bubbles to the top.

So, quick answer, bottle straight from cold crash. But make sure to gently stir the priming solution in your bottling bucket and/or chill the soln to the beer temp to ensure a good mix between the two liquids.

Your experience is my fear. Having never done a cold crash I did not know, but assumed that the warming of the beer might cause some stirring of the yeast. I once tried to use a heat pad to jump start a stuck fermentation. Within 15 minutes I had chunks of yeast the size of pencil erasers launching from the bottom. (Probably caused by locked in co2), but none the less, the yeast got re-suspended rapidly.

I have never seen yeast "reactivate" in a completely fermented beer after removing it from the cc to room temp for transfer.

I have never seen yeast "reactivate" in a completely fermented beer after removing it from the cc to room temp for transfer.

My concern is not with the yeast reactivating, but rather that if allowed to warm for too long that there might be some co2 coming out of solution in the yeast that would cause enough "stirring" that I would get resuspended yeast.

Either way, sounds like the standard procedure is to bottle the beer while it is still cold.

Where is this co2 coming from? Is this a carbed beer?

Not sure what your definition of "standard procedure" is I guess. I always allow mine to warm back up to room temp, YMMV.

if you have to move it, that act alone will suspend some yeast and will require letting it resettle (clear) which will then allow it to warm.

Latest posts

Back