Cold crash multiple kegs at different times.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two kegs in the keezer. One has been in the keezer for two days at 34f. I just kegged the other one. At the moment the thermo probe is strapped to the first keg. Should I move it to the second keg which is at 50f to kick on the freezer. Or would that risk freezing the frist keg?

Hobson's Choice. Leaving your setup as is would ensure neither keg would freeze, at the expense of time; moving the probe to the 2nd keg would likely speed up the process but would also seem to increase the risk of freezing the first keg.

I'd go with the conservative choice and take the time hit. It won't be that much longer - I cold-crash 10 gallon batches in any of my 3 brewery fridges in 48 hours...

Cheers!

I put my thermo probe in a neutral, stable part of freezer, at 31-32F. Not sure why one would want to attach to individual keg. Not that that would be an option in my case anyway.

IMG_2738.JPG

fwiw, the sensor that actually runs my keezer is always strapped to the fullest keg with a thick slab of insulating foam over it. With that my keezer cycles just ~4 times per day, everything is held around 36°F, a full pour typically results in a glass of 40°F beer...and I've never frozen anything...

1684633710799.png

Cheers!

fwiw, I don't think my keezer cycles even that much, not that I measure it. But since it is high volume and in a cool cellar, that is not surprising. Never froze anything either, though admittedly all my brews contain alcohol.

Hobson's Choice. Leaving your setup as is would ensure neither keg would freeze, at the expense of time; moving the probe to the 2nd keg would likely speed up the process but would also seem to increase the risk of freezing the first keg.

I'd go with the conservative choice and take the time hit. It won't be that much longer - I cold-crash 10 gallon batches in any of my 3 brewery fridges in 48 hours...

Cheers!
Chose the conservative choice. Thanks

I have two kegs in the keezer. One has been in the keezer for two days at 34f. I just kegged the other one. At the moment the thermo probe is strapped to the first keg. Should I move it to the second keg which is at 50f to kick on the freezer. Or would that risk freezing the frist keg?
You should place your probe in a neutral vessel of water/liquid. I use a water bottle filled with a little antifreeze. The cap is drilled with a tiny hole and the probe goes thru that and the hole is then sealed.

I place the bottle in the bottom of the keezer. Whatever the bottle's liquid temp is, so will the beer in the kegs be.

You don't want the air temp, you want the liquid temp.

fwiw, the sensor that actually runs my keezer is always strapped to the fullest keg with a thick slab of insulating foam over it. With that my keezer cycles just ~4 times per day, everything is held around 36°F, a full pour typically results in a glass of 40°F beer...and I've never frozen anything...
That! ^

I have the sensor strapped similarly, under a thick foam pad, to the bottom third of one of the fuller kegs. That's in an upright keezer where cold air from the evaporator recirculates, starting at the top with the return at the bottom.

Now the top part of that keezer, on a wire shelf above the kegs, is also used for fridge overflow, crashing yeast starters, etc.

Back