Cold crash, keg, burst carb?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Ok, first batch brewed (Witbier, Extract) and this Friday will make 21 days in the primary. I took SG today and hit our expected FG, so far all of our numbers have been spot on so far and the color & taste of the sample todya was awesome! I plan on taking another sample Thursday evening and if it is the same as last SG we plan on kegging. Now here is our dilemma, we want to drink this beer asap lol....I know patience patience patience but we really just want to celebrate the brew and have a few glasses then let whats left age for a few days or a week or so. My question is what is the best method for what we want, I have read threads on threads of methods and what others do but I want to make sure I don't completely screw it up.

I know burst carbing is taken better with cold beer, SO.......CAN I
1. Place the primary in the fridge and let it cold crash overnight?
2. Keg the beer the next day from the primary and then burst carb it in order to have beers then??

Cold crashing in the primary is my bigger question because I have not read many people doing it for the same purpose I am....super newb at this but the wealth of knowledge on Homebrew is outstanding and cannot wait for some feedback. Thanks in adavance! :mug:

You could have kegged it 10 days ago. I'd go ahead and keg it now, then put it in the fridge with 30 psi on it for a day or two, drop it to serving pressure and start drinking it when the carb is close enough for your tastes.

If you leave the pressure high for longer, or do the ridiculous shake/roll method, chances are good you'll overcarb and be posting here asking how to fix it.

Thanks for the advice mason....anyone with information to the original question?

There is no problem cold crashing in primary, as long as you hit your FG. I would just keg it up now like the post above says. Get the gas on it, if your in a hurry to drink it mine as well get it in the keg.

But to answer your original question there is no problem cold crashing in primary

That is exactly how I keg most of my beers. Though IMHO it takes 24 hours in the keg to achieve desirable carbonation when using the shake and roll method. Also, I would cold crash for at least 2 days if you want the beer to clarify (dont do this with your witbier or intentionally hazy style).

To answer your question, its fine (recommended even) to put your carboy in the fridge to cold crash. Some older articles reccomend cold crash using the secondary, but experiments have proven secondary containers are pointless (even harmful to hoppy beers) unless you are conditioning the beer for a long time (>2 months).

S style bubbler airlocks will bubble backwards too. As far as cold crashing the primary, it's no problem, but kegging it does basically the same thing. If you're in a hurry, why not let it clarify in the keg as it also carbs up?

+1 on keg it then throw it in the kegerator. Anything in suspension will fall out when it gets cold and come out in your first pint.

Now, if you dry hop in the primary, I'd cold crash it in primary before racking to keg. Hop material in the keg is a PITA.

As far as checking your FG 3 days apart, this is important when you're bottling but not so much when kegging. If you're at the FG you expect from the recipe then keg it up.

Thanks for the input!! I racked it into the keg, purged it, put 20lbs CO2 on it and put it in the fridge. Going to leave 20psi on it until Friday and check carb. Sound good? If that carbs it enough is it okay to leave the co2 hooked up around the clock at serving psi or should I pop the ball lock off?

Once you're at the desired carb level, just back off the pressure to serving pressure, pull the relief valve a couple times and leave the gas on it...at least that's what I do. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back