Cold crash in the bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardleft

Reaction score
Please let me know if this sounds workable.

I have a mild in the primary fermenter right now, brewed almost two weeks ago. I want to use the yeast cake (or at least part of it)for a higher gravity brew.

I will brew again this weekend, and move the mild into the bottling bucket. Then I will put the bottling bucket in my fridge at 40 degrees and maybe drop some gelatin in. Then I can bottle the next day, or after a few days. Its like using the bottling bucket as a secondary.

While thats going on, I have tons of nice, fresh yeast for the new batch of beer, and a now empty primary fermenter.

At bottling, I will add my sugar, stir gently, and bottle. Should I change the amount of priming sugar since the beer will be cold and thus retain more CO2?

Thanks for the help. This is a great forum.

That would be fine except that you will have a hard time carbing if you use gelatin. You will need to add back some yeast to carb in the bottle. I would skip the gelatin on a mild. Even if it has some haze, it is dark enough to hide it.

Thanks. It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to add back some yeast, since I will have a new batch fermenting right there. I guess I could also rinse and store a small amount in a boiled baby food jar.

I realize this is too much for a mild, but I am trying to figure out the process for the next batch. And the next...

Back