Cold Crash/Clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto188

Reaction score
I'm in the process of cold crashing 5 gallons of unpasteurized Zeiglers All Natural Cider that I fermented with a packet of SAFALE S-04. Starting Gravity 1.05, Final Gravity 1.01. Before pitching yeast, I threw in 5 tsp of pectin enzyme and 5 tsp of yeast nutrient. Fermented about 7-8 days down to 1.01. I then racked from my bucket, to my carboy and threw in 1/2 cup of water with dissolved gelatin and put into the my refridgerator. It looks like the gelatin did a good job of binding the suspended particulate, but my cider is a cloudy golden yellow after 3 days. Why can't I get this stuff to clear?

1392766768598.jpg

You don't have to put gelatin in, that's what the Pectic enzyme is for. I've used that same juice before with only enzyme and it's so clear after 2 weeks you could thread a needle looking through it. Next time stick to only enzyme and just leave her alone for 2 weeks

Question that may be an answer; Did you allow sufficient time for the enzyme to do its job prior to pitching your yeast? (recommended time is one hour but I usually let it go longer)

Patience. My ciders always take a few weeks to clear, but they come out as glassy and clean-looking as possible. I add no finings, I just let it sit at room temp for about 2 weeks, then cold crash for a few days. That is usually all it takes. I always use fresh-pressed, unfiltered cider with no pectic enzyme, gelatin, bentonite, or anything.

Back