Cold crash apfelwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alucard1983

Reaction score
So I was gonna cold crash my apfelwien by putting it out side all night.. It's suppose to get down to 27 tonight do you think it will hurt it?

What would that do to it? Mine has just stopped fermenting and don't know what to do with it now. What is cold crashing? :)

To cold crash you need to rack it, cool, and rack again. This will get the lees to fall to the bottom and you can rack off of them. There is a difference between cooling and cold crashing. I'm not sure about leaving it out at night. If it's below freezing, and you have a glass bottle it could freeze and crack. I'm not saying it will but it could. If I was going to cold crash I would want it to be in a more controlled enviroment.

Well I have a water container for a water cooler I use to get filtered water in. What If I put it in that Tommrow it's suppose to be about 40 Tommrow put it out on the deck in the shade and a tshirt on it and leave it out there all day or until it hits freezing temp? I have a old leather jacket that I can put ot it as well.. I'm not worried about the covering because I live on a fifth floor of an apartment building.

Will the water container be able to keep the air out of it?

I'm pretty sure also is almost clear but I have to finish for Tommrow when it's my wife's birthday so I can fit it on tap

Back