Cold Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodan

Reaction score
hey guys,

I was wondering about different techniques you guys use to condition your beer.

Cold conditioning is something that has been recommended to me for my hefe weizen, but i am recieving mixed techniques. Some say that you need to cold condition prior to bottling, and other feel that cold conditioning can be done after the beer has been bottled.

I did not cold condition prior to bottling, and the beer has been in the bottles for 3 weeks... is it possible to start an in bottle cold conditioning now or am i to late???

Thanks!

Your yeast will still do whatever they do at cold temperatures in the bottle. They work slower in the bottle than in a carboy/bucket, but still work. I say go ahead and start drinking it and keep your bottles in the fridge.

Im basically asking this because my Hefe weisen is a little different than i expected and i discovered that german weise beer producers will cold condition for 3 weeks...

I know that many weise beer producers will ferment with a wheat yeast and then partially filter. Then just prior to bottling, a lager yeast will be added. I did not do this... i just stuck with the wheat yeast, primed and bottled.

The beer has been in the bottle for 3 weeks (room temp) and it still has this "wild" flavour and is very much more chaotic and "meaty" than wheat beers that you buy in the store....

On Monday i put all of the beer into the spare fridge and adjusted the temp to about 4 degrees celcius... is this going to work?

This was my first AG beer... 70%wheat/30% pale row row. I used the Wyeast weihenstephan strain and hallertau hops.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I drink my HWs at room temp or slightly chilled (about a hour in the fridge).

Cold conditioning is not recommended as the cold drops out more proteins and yeast from the brew. Of course it really doesn't matter if you're mixing the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.:D

how bout the flavor???

Has anyone used the Wyeast weihenstephan and recieved similar "wild" or "meaty- ish" flavors?? Hopefully they calm down....

thanks for the responces!

homebrewer_99 said:
Cold conditioning is not recommended as the cold drops out more proteins and yeast from the brew.

'Zactly. Cold conditioning will not fix a bad beer.

bad beer? I didnt say that.....

I dont know but i did buy a book specifically about german weise beer and thats what was recommended.... but if you guys dont think it will help....

Latest posts

Back