Cold brew coffee from scratch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred588

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I had a chance to try a bottled cold brew coffee. It was very good, although I prefer my iced coffee black. But it was also rather expensive to purchase and while I could afford it if I wanted it, I'd rather make it myself.

There appear to be a variety of "machines" out there for making cold brew, as well as coffee products touted as being specially designed for making cold brew. As I have time on my hands anyway, however, I decided to experiment a little. I put about four cups of cold water in a large measuring cup and added two heaping soup-spoons of coffee intended for use in a coffee machine. Actually it was Folger's Classic Roast. I stirred the mixture so the grounds no longer floated and put it in the refrigerator for about 5 or 6 hours. I then put a regular coffee filter in my coffee maker and poured in the cold mix. This worked very well to remove all the grounds.

After re-chilling the coffee so the point it began developing a skim of ice at the surface I did a taste test. I found it too strong and a bit too bitter. From that point I did several experiments until I developed a procedure that seems to work; quite well in fat. I put about six ounces of the coffee into a 12 ounce glass. I then added a couple of small squirts of Stevia, just enough to balance out the bitterness. I then filled the glass the rest of the way with water. Actually I used homemade carbonated water because I like the bubbles. I rathe like the result.

I am curious what others think of cold brewed ice coffee, and would particularly like to hear from anyone else who has tried making it from scratch without using fancy machines or specially designed coffee beans.

About two weeks ago I had a chance to try a bottled cold brew coffee. It was very good, although I prefer my iced coffee black. But it was also rather expensive to purchase and while I could afford it if I wanted it, I'd rather make it myself.

There appear to be a variety of "machines" out there for making cold brew, as well as coffee products touted as being specially designed for making cold brew. As I have time on my hands anyway, however, I decided to experiment a little. I put about four cups of cold water in a large measuring cup and added two heaping soup-spoons of coffee intended for use in a coffee machine. Actually it was Folger's Classic Roast. I stirred the mixture so the grounds no longer floated and put it in the refrigerator for about 5 or 6 hours. I then put a regular coffee filter in my coffee maker and poured in the cold mix. This worked very well to remove all the grounds.

After re-chilling the coffee so the point it began developing a skim of ice at the surface I did a taste test. I found it too strong and a bit too bitter. From that point I did several experiments until I developed a procedure that seems to work; quite well in fat. I put about six ounces of the coffee into a 12 ounce glass. I then added a couple of small squirts of Stevia, just enough to balance out the bitterness. I then filled the glass the rest of the way with water. Actually I used homemade carbonated water because I like the bubbles. I rathe like the result.

I am curious what others think of cold brewed ice coffee, and would particularly like to hear from anyone else who has tried making it from scratch without using fancy machines or specially designed coffee beans.
I used a small bag I had sewn up for hops for brewing beer. I used about 8 cups cold water and 8 oz od ground espresso coffee. I put the coffee in the bag and let it steep over nite. In the morning I removed the bag, do not squeeze, then put the concentrate in a smaller jar. It gave me about a quart of the coffee concentrate. Whenever I want to fix a cup, I use a glass of ice, pour approx a cup of coffee and fill the rest with water and some cream. The coffee last a good week or two in the fridge. It only cost me about $3 and I get to drink iced coffee all week.

At least once, try it with carbonated water. if you do not make your own just use a bottled variety.

I picked up a kit on sale which consisted of a 2qt mason jar and a cone shaped cloth “filter” and course ground coffee. The bitterness you experienced may be from the grind of the coffee, and typically cold brew is made double strength you’re expected to dilute it with water. (Of course if you put it on nitro, the dilution will be in the keg). I grind my beans at home, and medium roasts seem to be the best for cold brew. BTW Adventures in homebrewing offers 2 stainless mesh inserts intended for making cold brew in large mouth mason jars.

The bitterness does not seem to be a problem as it seems to be completely abolished by a squirt of stevia. I do dilute it - just with carbonated water instead of plain water.

Went to Pete's Coffee and picked up 6lb of Major Dickenson's Blend, tossed it in my 20gal mash ton with about 7gal RO water. Had the screen covered with a paint strainer. We then recirculated occasionally for about 18 hours. Mostly just let it set. We ended up with 6gal of the best CB'd coffee I've had. A cornie full now sits on nitro in my patio kegerator. It is such a treat for us all.

ColdBrewCoffee_20190321.jpg
I cold steeped 1.5 gal of coffee for 24 hrs in a 1.5 g. wide mouth carboy from a Kombucha kit @ Northern Brewer. I used 1/3 cup of roasted beans x 7, which is my normal ritual with a French press and 200 degrees of water. I buy my green coffee beans from Burman Coffee. I mix my beans up quite a bit, but did use the
JAMAICAN BLUE MOUNTAIN for 4 oz’s of the mix
Two days prior I roasted two batches of 8 oz’s in my Gene Cafe roaster. The next morning I scooped the cold steeped coffee thru a SS filter into a 1.75 keg. I then carbed with Nitrogen. It was tasty but surprisingly light in color, although in the carboy it was pitch black.

Last edited:
If you own a french press then you don't need any special equipment to make cold brew. Just make as much cold brew as you want in a suitably large plastic container and then pour the cold brew in the french press in batches to strain out the grounds. Transfer to a second vessel if necessary.

For those of you making larger batches your mash tun is probably the easiest way to get that done.

My BF used to own a coffee shop. Their method was 1oz ground coffee per 8oz water (which translates to 1lb coffee to 1 gallon water). They'd put it in a nut bag in a container with a gallon of water and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. After 24 hours they'd squeeze the nut bag (to get the last bits of coffee) and then bottle the concentrate. The concentrate will keep for up to 14 days in the fridge, diluted for 7 days. They'd dilute as needed and then serve poured over coffee ice cubes.

I have a large french press. In it I put 4oz grounds, 32 oz water, cover and let sit in the fridge for 24 hours (cover with plastic wrap). Then press into a mason jar and dilute the concentrate as needed.

When I get a nitro tank (or if they will fill the extra tank I have), I'm going to try it nitro with my extra seltzer set-up.

Back