Cold break/fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0732400

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about 5 years and recently transitioned to 10 gallon batches and I am fermenting in two 6.5 gallon carboys. I recirc through a plate chiller and back into the boil kettle until it's cool enough to go in the fermentor. I'm on batch 5 or 6 of 10 gallon batches but this past Sunday when I started filling the fermenters, after the first one was full and the second one was about have full I realized that all of the cold break was in one fermentor. All of the cold break was on the bottom so the majority of it went I to the first fermentor I filled. Typically I have been racking from primary to secondary if I do one dee ding on the beer and I to the keg so the individual fermenters never mix after leaving the boil kettle. I know the cold break is proteins is this going to cause long term stability or problems with the half that didn't really have any break? Should I alternate fermenters more as I split the 10 gallon volume or is it not a big deal? Thoughts/theories that can be backed up?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you might want to retype all of that for clarity but if i understand correctly you are worried about cold break? don't be, it doesn't matter if it's in there or not. your cold glass of beer will taste and look fine (as long as all of the other variables are ok: mash ph, hot break, good boil, kettle finings and so on).

Latest posts

Back