Coffin Keezer List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. He would have picked it up by now, but my schedule is crazy.

It's ok, though. V2 will be sweet!

Cant wait to see V2! I am sure we will all be peaking in to see if any of use managed to inspire you in the new design after your thread has inspired so many!! :mug:

Unfortunately, v1 is being sold because of trying to sell my house. V2 won't be started til I am settled in a new spot. Whether or not I can build the house I want right away or if I have to have an interim home will determine if v2 is my final product, or if there will be a v3!

I built mine based on these designs, but the one regret I have was only having about 7" between the faucet and the drip tray. I do not have enough room to fill growlers or large swing tops. I'm probably going to rebuild the coffin box to make it taller. There is a pic in my gallery.

bzomerlei said:
I built mine based on these designs, but the one regret I have was only having about 7" between the faucet and the drip tray. I do not have enough room to fill growlers or large swing tops. I'm probably going to rebuild the coffin box to make it taller. There is a pic in my gallery.

Yeah, I used a pitcher to set the heights on mine :-D

add another...

Photo Dec 25, 5 07 36 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 25, 4 31 16 PM.jpg

My wife just got me the basics for a kegging system for Christmas, and I got ahold of an older Coronado 13 cf Chest Freezer cheap on Craigslist. I've been browsing Keezer plans for days until I found this list. The Coffin Keezer designs on this list actually have my WIFE excited to find a place for this in the house.

Thanks for all the work. It's going to be a tremendous help!

First of all, sorry for resurrecting an over-a-week old thread! :( but this is a great, super, kick a$$ list Jeebas, thanks so much for putting it together!!

I've done some searching but has anyone done this for a collar keezer list? The reason is that it's time to do my own build and want to give the SWMBO different looks for her blessing to start another project.

If there's not already a similar thread, I'd be happy to start one.
Thanks all!:mug:

Thanks!

Haha don't apologize for resurrecting it, I need to update it a bit myself, I haven't looked through the site for new ones in over a week.

I couldn't find a collar keezer list, it would be cool to make one, I didn't undertake it myself because it seems like 75% of the keezers out there are collar builds, and it was a lot of overhead to find all of those. That would be awesome though!

My very weak attempt at sarcasm in the "resurrection"

Thanks for the replies, I'll start the thread!

picked this up for 350 this weekend, fully set up... it flew out on the fwy on the way home so i had to rebuild.... more mods to come!

2012-01-18_09-22-00_854.jpg

Wow this is a great thread thanks for putting it together. I have been looking for ideas and now they are all in one place.

Anyone willing to help me out by explaining or PMing me some pictures of how the top of your coffin opens. I am assuming you are installing hinges and possibly connecting the top of the coffin to the top of the freezer so they move as one? Curious of how I should be installing the lines, etc. Thanks

Anyone willing to help me out by explaining or PMing me some pictures of how the top of your coffin opens. I am assuming you are installing hinges and possibly connecting the top of the coffin to the top of the freezer so they move as one? Curious of how I should be installing the lines, etc. Thanks

My whole top is just attached to the factory freezer lid, and uses the factory hinges. I think there are some detail pics in my build thread. :mug:

Step 1 - Place screw into hinge so they don't snap open when you remove the freezer lid from the top of the hinges.
Step 2 - Remove freezer lid from hinges.
Step 3 - Using a jigsaw, make 2-3" holes in the plywood for lines and air circulation.
Step 4 - Using a bimetal holesaw, drill holes to match to holes in the plywood. Line them up.
Step 5 - Buy tee nuts and hex bolts. Sink tee nuts into plywood lid.
Step 6 - Drill holes for hex bolts through the lid.
Step 7 - Secure bolts into tee nuts. The lids are now "as one" :p
Step 8 - Reattach lid to hinges.

There are other things you may need to do based on what kind of freezer you have and what kind of insulation is in the freezer lid, but that's the basics of it.

You can take a look here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/jeebass-3-phase-keezer-project-240063/#post3612962

Or most of the builds threads on here have some reference to this process as well.

Here's mine.

The only thing I would change is the wood I used. I know you may have heard that before. I have gotten away with mediocre wood in the past. This time I tried to save $100 and probably spent at least that plus extra weeks after it all twisted. The wood also decided that it didn't like to be stained so had to use gel. Messy.

IMG_0813.jpg

Hey guys, I've been trying to find examples of keepers that are part of a larger bar. Any help? I want to have a large, U shaped bar that incorporates a large (~24.9cu ft) keezer. I want to find examples so I know how to put it in and it be able to function, open, etc.

Hey guys, I've been trying to find examples of keepers that are part of a larger bar. Any help? I want to have a large, U shaped bar that incorporates a large (~24.9cu ft) keezer. I want to find examples so I know how to put it in and it be able to function, open, etc.

The only one that I could find on this list was https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bar-build-basement-overhaul-progress-tracker-164329/

If you build the bar so it covers the freezer entirely, you can just drill the holes in the lid for the lines to come out and then figure out how you want to run the lines to the coffin or tower on the bar and how you want to cool the lines and then you're golden. Maybe just put the freezer on casters and then slide it out to open it when you need to change kegs and whatnot.

I was just about ready to shell out a butt load of money for a 4 tap kegerator. Thanks to you, I'm gonna have a 5 or 6 tap for less than half the price I was about to spend. Thank you so very much! Thank you thank you thank you! I really mean it.

WOW!! I just saw this thread. It is awesome to see all of these pictures one one page. I love seeing all the different design elements and personal touches people have put their coffins/keezers. Thanks to Jeebas for putting these all together.

Check out my bar build in my sig. I did exactly what you're talking about, although mine is a 10.6cu freezer. One thing to keep in mind is that by covering the freezer and having a 1' overhang that the bar is DEEP. Mine is 40", all told. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also to the OP: You can add mine to the list since it has a coffin.

Not sure if mine is fully a keezer since uses two mini-fridges:
Almost done w/ paneling & trim...
48311d1329375072-six-tap-kegerator-img-20120215-00081.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/six-tap-kegerator-302850/

Well one could argue on two points that it is neither a keezer, nor a coffin keezer. As:

1) There is no freezer in the build as I always thought keezer = kegerator + freezer.
2) That's not really a coffin box in the sense of what is normally associated with the coffin box design.

But I care nothing about such strict guidelines. It's not a collar design, its not a straight up "tower on top" design. I say it goes in the list :mug:

Thanks for putting this together, I was actually going to do the same myself, I resorted to going to google and typing:

site:homebrewtalk.com keezer

And this one was like the 5th option, and it saved me a bunch of time...
I wish they would have made this a stickie

Thanks for putting this together, I was actually going to do the same myself, I resorted to going to google and typing:

site:homebrewtalk.com keezer

And this one was like the 5th option, and it saved me a bunch of time...
I wish they would have made this a stickie

Yeah I'm not sure what the process is for that... I try to update this whenever there are any relevant updates so it should stay up there.

Back