coffiin keezer tower where freezer opens a away from wall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor310

Reaction score
Has anyone done something like this or have any reasons it wouldn't work? I plan on having it open away from the wall so I can get in and out with out pulling it away from the wall all the time.

For the body of it basically I'm going to have a top piece of plywood that's 4 or so inches longer than the freezer lid on the sides. I'm going to build a 3 sided shell of playwood that's about 3 inches bigger than the freezer(for airflow) and is not attached to the freezer(I can pull this piece away when I open the lid. The power cables will be hidden inside the movable shell. The lines are 7 ft so there should be plenty of line for opening it(I think). Ifbi have 3 inches of overhang where the hinges are(the back if the freezer, front of the keezer) I'll have to make sure there is clearance for it to open all the way.

This is something I've been throwing around and am curious why I haven't seen anyone else do it.

How big of a freezer are you going to be dealing with? I have a larger model that is 17-19 cuft, and I could not imagine picking full keg up and putting it in the middle of the unit from the side. Even on a smaller unit throwing a 40 pound keg in might get akward.

There has been pull-outs but I don't recall seeing a pull-out and flip top.

I think you're going to have problems with the lines but that's only thinking about it for a minute reading this.

Sounds like you have a good idea how you want it, now you just need to show us some pictures of the build.

I hav a 13 cu ft one. I know for 1/2 barrels I'll have to pull it out but I figured with 2 people we could get in a 1/6 from the side. I have the taps set up inside the freezer and it seemed like for my first commercial keg I had to play around with the pressure and opening it and closing it a lot to get it just right to eliminate foam and this seemed like it would be easier. For swapping kegs out I may still have to pull it out some.

That being my first keg maybe I just didn't know what I was doing all that Mich and it will be more simple from here out.

I just completed mine and honestly I just put the coffin more towards the middle. I can open it without moving it enough to get kegs in. I just prop it up open with a 2x4.

Mine is in a corner though so it is already like 4 inches from the wall because of heat and cords etc.

here is a good side profile picture
10641043_10203861600435197_8130207002500270289_n.jpg

That's honestly not a bad idea. That way you can open it just enough to get to the kegs, co2, pressure without having to pull it out. You can more than likely fit in 1/6s without pulling it out.

My plan is when I get more into the home brewing I'm going to have 3 corny kegs and a 1/2 barrell commercial keg as a backup. By the time the half barrel is empty the freezer won't weigh that much and should pull out fairly easily. I've gotten into the freezer with my fiance in there and my buddy was able to pull it out on his own without much issue because of the thick carpet.

I just didn't like the idea of having to pull the thing out every time I have to open it just to check pressure etc.

I can definitely lift mine up without moving it... I dont really have room for regulators inside the coffin though but I am not sure I need them. Especially if you get flow control faucets.

Another question I have is what am I going to do with the lid. It has a giant light right on the middle of it! I took it off thinking I wouldn't need it and it has a ton of insulation right behind it. Here's a demo photo of what the light actually looks like. I guess I could replace the lid with like a thin sheet of plywood in front of the insulation.

_20140905_110835.JPG

Latest posts

Back