Coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
I'm currently doing a coffee stout. I added 2lbs of Briess Chocolate malt and I find it has a pretty good coffee taste while sitting in the carboy? I was debating about adding some cold brew espresso, but I'm worried that it will give it a lot more bitterness. Any thoughts?

Thanks

ryan

I'm currently doing a coffee stout. I added 2lbs of Briess Chocolate malt and I find it has a pretty good coffee taste while sitting in the carboy? I was debating about adding some cold brew espresso, but I'm worried that it will give it a lot more bitterness. Any thoughts?

Thanks

ryan
I made a coffee stout that included 10 to 12% kiln coffee malt. It was quite good.

No coffee, correct. I'm still experimenting with the percentage of coffee malt. If you want an overwhelming coffee flavor and aroma go with real coffee.

The smoothest coffee stouts I have made was by adding whole beans to the fermenter for 3 days prior to kegging.

If your going to add coffee, the absolute best approach for flavor and aroma is to add whole beans as if you are dryhoping.

Pick a medium roast coffee from a growing region you prefer. And add about 0.5 - 1.0 oz per gallon. Let it sit on it for 2 To 3 days

Back