Coffee Stout Tweak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I just got one of those Vietnamese stainless steel coffee filters. Surprisingly, the coffee of choice for vietnamese coffee is Cafe Du Monde Coffee and Chicory Regular, the New Orleans coffee brand. It gives it that unique chicory taste. This seems like it would be perfect for a stout! Thoughts? Has anyone ever used the Cafe Du Monde Coffee and Chicory in a stout?

I haven't. but I say go for it. I use a local coffee that is roasted with chestnuts, hazelnuts, and some spices in a sweet stout and I think it is great match. I bet the chicory would be a great addition.

I've used my father's homeroasted coffee in a stout. turned out great. how are you going to use the coffee? I ground the beans very coarsely, basically just cracking them, and added them to the fermenter in a hopsack after primary fermentation had slowed.

I've used my father's homeroasted coffee in a stout. turned out great. how are you going to use the coffee? I ground the beans very coarsely, basically just cracking them, and added them to the fermenter in a hopsack after primary fermentation had slowed.

I was planning on doing the same exact method. Was thinking of maybe 4 oz of coarsely ground Cafe Du Monde for a week and at bottling time, if necessary, adding shots of espresso to taste... Thoughts?

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I believe I used 4 oz as well. I left the coffee in the fermenter for two weeks, and there was certainly no need to add any espresso at bottling. The coffee flavor came through quite nicely (it was a bold sumatra) without overpowering the stout. I did a quick steep of the grounds in the hopsack, about 2 minutes, before adding them to the fermenter in an effort to sanitize the beans...not sure if it was necessary or not, but better to be careful I guess.

All in all, I was very pleased with the results, and am actually brewing another batch of it this week to give to my father for father's day in a few months.

there is a recpie on this forum in the Stout section. Founders Breakfast Stout Clone. Its a fantastic beer, and a good friend of mine confirms the clone recipe is very close to the original.

Anyways- they add 2oz of ground coffee at flameout, then 2oz of cold brewed coffee at bottling/kegging.

My stout I did two weekends ago I put 2oz ground at flameout. When I tasted the hydrometer sample a week ago, the coffee flavor was very strong. I probably will not add any more at bottling/kegging

:mug:

Most sources argue that it's not a good idea to add coffee to the boil, particularly for more than a few minutes, because you will extract strong bitterness from the coffee. I think most prefer 3 methods:

1. Add coarsely ground beans to the fermenter after active fermentation for about a week
2. Add cold pressed coffee at bottling time
3. Add espresso at bottling time

You definitely don't want to add coffee to the boil. it will make it very harsh and bitter. I like adding the beans to the fermenter...it feels more like the coffee is part of the beer and brewing/fermenting process, instead of adding separately brewed coffee to the beer at bottling time.

just my .02 and I am by no means an expert.

Back