coffee stout: racking suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobmarley

Reaction score
I will be racking my coffee stout soon. Five gallons. For those who have done this before, how many ounces of beans did you use? And for how long did you let it age? Any suggestions on what type of beans to use? Thanks!

Did a little looking online as a coffee stout is something I want to do after summer. I read about someone using Sumatra beans since it was "standard" for home brewers I guess, but they brewed it separately, then put it in the fridge for 12 hours.

They recommended 12 - 24oz of brewed coffee to rack on top of, depending on taste. This particular fellow said he used 18oz but said he probably could've used more.

Someone in the same thread also dry beaned 2oz for 2 days on top of adding brewed coffee. Since I have never tried a coffee stout, I think I'll do brewed coffee liquid, and start small, taste after a week, then add more if I need extra taste.

Thinking logically also, it makes more sense to coarsely grind the beans if you intend on steeping rather than whole beans. I'm definitely gonna adopt your procedure on adding the coffee if it turns out well.

They are talking about "cold brew process". I work at a local natural/organic grocery store and one of our local coffee roasters brewed a coffee stout with a local brewery. He told me how to do the cold crew technique. I think I will use the cold brew and add a small amount of beans. I pondered using Terrapins coffee beans they used in their wake-n-bake stout. Still have a few days to think about which kind to use.

I did a coffee stout recently. A sweet espresso stout actually (stout + lactose + espresso). It turned out amazingly well.

I definitely recommend cold-brewed coffee as an addition for your coffee flavor. It is really easy.

Use coarse ground coffee (ask for french press or coarser grind when you buy your coffee), stir coffee grounds and cold water into a slurry, put in the fridge for a day or two, decant and filter the resulting coffee, add to beer.

I used 4 oz of espresso and about 1 liter of water in my erlenmeyer flask for 2 days, then decanted the coffee thru a cone filter placed in a funnel right into my carboy. This was for a 5 gallon batch.

Remember, with coffee freshness matters -buy your coffee somewhere that roasts their own. Also any off taste in the water you use will be obvious in the coffee extract you produce -buy filtered water if your tap water isn't perfect.

The big advantage of cold brewed coffee is the lack of bitterness. If you have never tried it, and have only ever had drip-brewed coffee, it is very different.

Back