Coffee Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
Brewing this up this weekend, here's the recipe:

Coffee Porter - AG - Robust Porter
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.7%
Bitterness: 28.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 31 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Maris Otter Grain 9.000 lb Yes No 82% 3 L
Brown Malt Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 70% 65 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 60% 350 L
Barley, Flaked Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 70% 2 L
Black (Patent) Malt Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 55% 500 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 40 L
Total grain: 12.250 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Northern Brewer 9.0% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 28.2

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Whirlfloc Fining Boil 0.000 tsp 0.000 s
pH 5.2 Stabilizer Water Agent Mash 2.029 tsp 0.000 s
Coffee Flavor Secondary 4.000 oz 0.000 s

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - British Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Conversion Infusion 4.586 gal 150.000 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge Infusion 3.002 gal 170.000 F 15.000 min

The yeast may change depending on what my LHBS has in stock. I think I'm also going to use a Sumatra coffee and do it cold steep, then rack onto it in secondary. I was also thinking of mashing a little higher than 150° F (like maybe 154° F), would this be better? I'll let you know how it turns out!

Mashing a bit higher could certainly complement the coffee. Otherwise the recipe sounds great.

I've had the best luck adding the coffee beans directly (either whole, or coarsely ground in a muslin bag) to the beer for 12-48 hours right before bottling/kegging. That method seems to impart more complexities and the flavor/aroma lasts longer than adding cold brewed coffee.

Good luck brewing.

I'll be starting this in a couple hours. Got everything ready to go. I ended up going with WLP002 instead of the wyeast, since that's what my LHBS had available. Made a small (2 cup) starter so it will take off shortly after pitching. I'm going to try to tweet updates as I go along, so follow @Beehemel if you want to stay in the loop!

Just finished this one. Came out pretty good! OG was 1.061, better than I was planning (only by two points). Smells and tastes pretty good so far, can't wait to see what fermentation and the coffee adds to it!

Put the coffee in the fridge to cold steep on Saturday, planning on racking with the coffee tonight. I ended up going with 4 oz of coffee to 4 cups of boiled and chilled water. Should I sanitize the coffee filter before I run it through tonight?

Latest posts

Back