coffee malt experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnb

Reaction score
I'm about to throw half a pound or more of coffee malt (from Belgian Castle Malt, it's name is Chateau Café) into a classic dry stout recipe (for my batch #40. Sort of a small jubileum :)). Anyone having opinions about that?

I've never used it, but I'm pretty sure it's not a hopeless idea. I'm not so sure about the quantity, though. And I guess I should cut some of the roasted barley when I do this?

As of now it looks like this (5 1/2 gallons):
7 pounds of Maris Otter
2 pounds of flaked barley
1 pound of roasted barley (or a little less)
half a pound to a pound of coffee malt

mash at 40-67-71-77C. (No sparge. Dark grains at vorlauf.)

East Kent Golding at 60. WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

I use Simpson's coffee malt in one of my stout recipes (that includes some other dark roasted grains), which is about 150L. The one time I sub'd in the Castle coffee (listed at 190L) the beer came out very harsh. It may have been coincidence or something else with that batch but I never used it again just in case. I'd consider going easy with it, probably not more than 1/2 lb and you may want to decrease the RB a little as you mention.

Castle Coffee Light rocks in Quads. Somewhere in the 5% ballpark should do fine.

As a rule of thumb (°), Castle malts are very clean and monocline, so they work really well in complex malt bills, with several other specialty malts thrown in to add complexity. Compared to Dingemans and even Weyermann, Castle's specialty malts each do one thing (and do it well), instead of doing lots of things all at once.

Also: don't expect Coffee malt to taste anything like coffee. I think the name is derived from the process, rather than the result.

So coffee malt just a kind of malt? In fact, I really hope that it will have the taste of coffee

Castle Coffee Light rocks in Quads. Somewhere in the 5% ballpark should do fine.

As a rule of thumb (°), Castle malts are very clean and monocline, so they work really well in complex malt bills, with several other specialty malts thrown in to add complexity. Compared to Dingemans and even Weyermann, Castle's specialty malts each do one thing (and do it well), instead of doing lots of things all at once.

Also: don't expect Coffee malt to taste anything like coffee. I think the name is derived from the process, rather than the result.[/QUOTEnd porters]

They do claim it does: "Château Café malts impart a nutty and light to reach coffee flavour and aroma to beers, brings in a "coffee" note in Stouts and Porters. Adds a smooth mouthfeel and complexity to any dark ale. Reinforces the colour of the beer."

I really hope they're right, 'cause I do want that hint of coffe. (Also I'm gonna mash a bit high, as you can see. This won't be a very dry stout. It's gonna be a dry stout giving the impression it's considering whether it should start on a journey towards becoming O'Hara's extra Irish Stout.)

Back