Coffee Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjasonh

Reaction score
So my local coffee shop makes a Banana Latte that I love. I was thinking about making a Coffee Hefeweizen to try and play with the banana notes of the Hefeweizen with coffee in secondary. Has anyone done this? Any good Banana forward all grain Hefeweizen recipes (5 gallon)?

Sounds good, I'm brewing a hefe this weekend. Redoing a recipe that previously had good banana as a single infusion. This time Ill be doing a double decoction. I go 65% wheat, 35% pilsner (with acid malt to get mash pH 5.3-5.4), last time used Imperial Stefon starting 60-62F and ramping up to 68F. Then drop to 40F and keg as soon as done, but going to try out a different yeast this go around. WLP611

What coffee are you planning on using? Any Lactose too?

I’m a new home brewer so open to all suggestions. My plan is to use cold brew in secondary from my local coffee shop.

I've never done a coffee hefeweizen before, but it sounds delicious. About a year ago I did a coffee saison. I've heard people have really good results from using cold brew in secondary. I really liked the results I got from using coffee beans in secondary. I used 8 oz/5 gallons of freshly roasted coffee beans and just cracked them a little bit with a rolling pin. I put them in a hop bag and added them after primary for ~1 week.

This gave a very nice, prominent coffee flavor while still leaving plenty of room for the other flavors to come through. I need to rebrew that...........

I also like doing whole bean addition after primary ferment has been completed. Did this with a "white stout" and worked really well for getting coffee flavor in and having no impact on color

I think I would add some lactose to this to get the "latte" flavors going. The only thing I would worry about is getting enough banana to come through the coffee so might take a couple attempts to really dial this in, but sounds very tasty

Look at dunkle weizen recipes, that would make a great base beer for a coffee addition.

Also make sure you dry bean with whole beans and taste every day. For a stout about 2 Oz for three days usually does the trick but you might want to half it and try it after just a day, coffee can quickly overwhelm other flavours and become acrid if you extract too much.

Look at dunkle weizen recipes, that would make a great base beer for a coffee addition.

Also make sure you dry bean with whole beans and taste every day. For a stout about 2 Oz for three days usually does the trick but you might want to half it and try it after just a day, coffee can quickly overwhelm other flavours and become acrid if you extract too much.
Thanks for the advice

Back