Coffee Grain Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidwk

Reaction score
I just tasted my latest homebrew (actually the first I have brewed in about 5 years), and it is - thankfully - really good. One thing keeping it from being excellent, though - I tried, for the first time, adding coffee to my brew (a nut brown ale, store-bought & canned). The smell and color are great. The taste is good as well, but there is a taste of coffee grinds that I don't really like. It is a lot like the taste of the last sip of coffee when some coffee grounds have made it into the mug. When I was brewing this batch, I ground up some coffee and poured it right into the boiling wort. Was that the right way to add a little coffee hint? Or should I have steeped it? Any hints for next time?

Try actually brewing the coffee just like you normaly would to drink it and adding that to your secondary to taste.

Do as Kevin Dennis suggest and you will lose that flavor in your beer.

Only exception would be make the coffee very strong as the coffee flavor will decline over time with age.

I would not put more than 10 cups per five gallons.
A good stong coffe to put in the beer would be French Roast mixed strong, this will give a robust coffe flavor in your brown ale, but also that same flavor can be achieved by steeping 1/8 pound of roated barley in your wort (put it in a grain bag).
As soon as boiling commences pull out your grain.

Hope this helps.
Otis_the_Drunk

I agree with Otis, brew a very strong 12 cup pot of coffee and add it to the wort. I do this all the time with my stouts and it adds a very complimentary hint of a coffee flavor.

Add it at bottling time "TO TASTE" by adding a little at a time. Use cold brewed coffee. Look that up if you don't know what cold brewed is. All that will come thru is the coffee taste and aroma.

Back