Coffee filtering the trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjolin01

Reaction score
I came across some old conical coffee filters I had for an old coffee maker. I now use a Keurig. Now I am wondering what to use the filters for.

Could I use them in a funnel when transferring to a primary or secondary to filter out any sediments aka trub? Would this filter out to much the yeast (between primary and secondary)? Do I need to worry about contaminated filters affect beer?

I am sure this been asked before so even if someone can link me to an answer it would be cool. Couldn't find anything thorough on the topic in my brief search!

Cheers!

They will probably clog very quickly and will probably introduce a lot of oxygen. I've used coffee filters in an attempt to filter a variety of things before, and I really suspect that if you filtered "all" of the trub and such before you ran it through a coffee filter, the filter would still clog.

Like everyone has mentioned they would clog up so fast that it would be a super PITA.

No real need to filter. I just dump everything into the fermenter and still get vary clear beers.

Here read this. http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

here is a brew that I just dumped everything into the fermenter...

image.jpg

Hi! Tried this when I was very new to all grain... It does not work. It clogs immediately and trickles at almost 1/10th the speed of coffee. Almost dripping.

The resuable steel mesh ones work a little better (I made a funnel attachment out of one), but still clogs and is a lot of work. I recommend just getting a paint strainer bag for when you transfer from the kettle and then just either cold crashing or just letting it sit.

Better men than you have tried. ;)

No, it won't work, and you will oxidize the beer.

Here's a better plan: wait for the beer to clear in primary before transferring (to bottle, keg, or secondary). If you wait until everything settles out, then there really is no trub to "filter" out, just rack from off of the top of it.

Cold crashing and gelatin can speed up the clearing process, if time is an issue.

Nothing to add that hasn't been said. ;)
When I make small mead batches I use on of those gold filters to skim the top with, it... other than that anything else brewing related I have tried to use it in it's pretty useless.

Coffee filters are a really fine style of filters. It'll clog instantly and you'll hate life. Either let it settle out and carefully transfer without disturbing it, or just dump it all in.

Back