Coconut Porter advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing up Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter recipe from Brewing Classic Styles this weekend. I got to thinking that I'd like to try a coconut porter sometime too and then the light bulb finally went off and I got the brilliant idea to split the batch and make half of it a chocolate hazelnut porter and the other half a chocolate coconut porter (earthshaking revelation there, I know;)).

So, here's my question. For the hazelnut half I'll be adding hazelnut extract to the bottling bucket, per Jamil's recipe. What's the best way to add coconut flavor to the other half? A lot of coconut porter recipes I've seen online use toasted coconut in the secondary for a week or two. My problem with that is that my smallest carboy is 5 gallons and the coconut half of the batch will only be 2.5 gallons, which seems like too much head space. I've heard of coconut rum and coconut extract being used, but I'm not sure how much to start with. The same ratio as the hazelnut extract, or is the coconut extract stronger (or weaker)? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Just finishing a coconut rum porter - I "dry hopped" 1 lb of unsweetened, toasted coconut using a paint spray bag that I hung in the keg while it carbonated. Nice smooth coconut flavor that does not over power the porter taste.

Latest posts

Back