Coca Cola looking beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrapin

Reaction score
Hey there,
I have been saving glass Coca Cola bottles with the idea of making a brown or stout to bottle in them so we can ride our cruzer bikes around town this summer and have some good home brew to sip on.

The question is:

Any one ever seen a beer that is dark, with a white head? Or does any one have any ideas on what grains would make that?

Thanks

Can't exactly comment about the possibility of a white head on a super dark beer, except that I haven't had one like that. As far as a beer that looks the part, I think you are on the right track...dark brown, porter, or stout.

A stout with roasted barley as the only dark grain will retain a white head. Think of guinness.

I like that, now to find a recipe that is good on a hot day.......not too stouty, that is why I like the brown idea. Maybe a hoped up or dry hoped recipe.

shwarzbier.

plus anything with coconut or peanut butter will have very little head and will appear much more soda-like.

+1 for Schwarzbier

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the head color, no one is going to look that closely at your 'coke'

This is all good information.
I am just going to recap with red caps.
I am going to have to look into coconut and peanut butter in beer......those seem odd.

How about a cascadian dark ale (black ipa)? Dark but, not heavy, with a refreshing cascade dry hop.
I just brewed one. It will be kegged on Thursday. It tasted great when I racked it. I can't wait to taste it after the cascade/centeniel dry hop.

I will post the results here this weekend.

Any dark beer will look like Coke in a plastic bottle. I fill from my faucet to plastic bottle when I want to quickly hook up someone. I recently brought a Nut Brown Ale to someone at work and left it in the fridge. Every person thought it was a Coke. Same thing with Orange Chocolate Ale, gave it to some yesterday.

You are going for appearance only and from distance.

Back