Cobra/Picnic tap users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayMizuno

Reaction score
I am sure someone has come up with this before because I have not had an original idea since I got married.....

I use the picnic taps in my keezer because it resides in my shed and there is always "stuff" flying around due to the myriad of items on the to do list so I have had no intrest in building a collar and attaching "real taps". While using these I always seemed to have a few drops of the goodness drip to the bottom of the keezer no matter how often I tapped them on the glass when I finished a pour. I got tired of cleaning those up so I searched, searched, searched, and searched for a solution to no avail. Then just the other day I noticed these in my desk drawer:

I did a little modification on the clip (handle):

Put a label on the binder, clip it to the keg, and here is my picnic tap holder. Sorry for the crappy pic...

binder.JPG

clip.JPG

holder.JPG

Nope, at least I haven't seen this solution in ten years of homebrewing. Rather slick and useful to all of us when we take our picnic taps to picnics.

That is a great idea! I get the same drippy problems from the taps. I always have the problem of the taps falling into the gunk at the bottom of the freezer or into the DampRid bucket.

Did you modify the black clip part at all? Can you post some more pictures of how you actually attach it to the corney?

***NICE IDEA by the way!!(if no one else came up with it first, lol)***

GENIUS.

I'm borrowing this for mine since I'm too poor right now for a tower. I've made a mess on my hardwood floors over the past two weeks. Last night I shut a door on a tap and ended with 2 pints all over the floor. Luckily (or sadly) there was only 2 pints left on the tap.

Nice!!!

Looks like you just bent out the part where the "handles" for lack of better word gets skinny so you can thread the picnic tap up through it? The clip then clips on sideways to the handle

It is a large binder and when fully opened it fits nice and tight over the handle. The tube actually fit in the opening at the end, but the hose clamp did not. It would probably sit fine with out any modification but I just wanted it to sit lower in the holder.

I will attempt to post some better pictures tonight showing the results with the change to the handle and without a change to the handle.

well, maybe it's novel for the picnic tapper...but I have used (for 1 year now) the exact same modification to hold my 3/8" polyethylene tubing on my kettle when filling from my canister carbon filter.

Now I know it's not a single use item at least...:mug:

I took some more pictures that I hope better explain what I did and why. Since I don't know how (and yes, I did read the wiki, and yes I am a ritard (see Hangover)) to seperate pictures in one post I may have this in a few different posts. The first pic is what I started with. The next one shows how when fully opened it fits nicely on the handle of the corny. The third picture shows the "handles" on the binder, one off the binder, and one modified to be used as I like it.

originalclip.jpg

squeezebest.jpg

threehandles.jpg

The next few pictures show why I wanted the "handles" modified a little. You will notice I took the bottom handle off because it restricted the hose a little when trying to pull the tap up, and when putting it in place. The first two pictures show the handle as is. You will notice the tap sits higher because the hose clamp does not fit through the original opening. I am sure they would work fine, but I wanted something a little better. The last two pictures show how the tap fits with the modification to the handles. I put a label on the binder clip to remind me what is what because I will have three kegs on tap at the same time.

taphighside.jpg

taphigh.jpg

taplowside.jpg

taplow.jpg

If you get around to building that collar, you may want to get some faucet covers if your worried about stuff getting in there. I picked up a bunch at the homebrew store and besides keeping stuff out they keep the faucets from sticking.
tapcap2.jpg

That is a pretty nifty idea... Wish this would have come up a week ago for the Superbowl hootenanny I was at... People kept dropping the taps in the ice bucket...

Nice kob
:mug:

Great idea!

I think I must use this along with my current setup of coiling up the beer lines with zip ties.

solid idea. i wish i'd seen this when i was using picnic taps, there was always puddles of each beer after a while.

I actually ran mine right through the holes in my collar where the 'real' taps will go eventually. I find I don't have a dripping problem at all, although after I try to tap the last of the beer from the faucet, I give it one spray of Star San from a little spray bottle I keep nearby.

It is 3/16" ID line. I am just overly cautious about loosing my goods.

I've never had a picnic tap come loose from the beer line ever. Nobody I know uses clamps on them. Our club had some 225 kegs on tap at the same time for an event last year and all were equipped with cobra taps. There was no loss of goods as a result that I am aware of.

Great idea. I bought some 3M hooks to use but I think this works much better. Back to the office supply store.

Back