Cobalt vs Amber bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sm007thie

Reaction score
I know to stay clear of... clear bottles. The same goes for green bottles. I'm looking to get a bunch of 750 ml swing-top bottles and the cobalt ones look sharp! I really want to get a case of them, but if their UV-absorbing capability is less than the amber bottles, I'll get amber swing-tops instead. So is there any major difference between cobalt and amber bottles?

Cobalt ones aren't good UV-blockers (they're even worse than green).

http://cdn2.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbrskunking.pdf Light Absorption by Various Beer Bottle Glass: Data to Accompany April 2nd, 2008 Basic Brewing Radio Podcast with James Spencer by Bradley E. Sturgeon, PhD has all the details, numbers, and charts.

The quick takeaway:
"Note that the green and especially blue are inefficient at filtering the higher energy UV light (less than ~ 400 nm)."

Provided you keep them out of the light, any bottles can work, really.

If you're a little more relaxed on light restriction, I'd steer clear of cobalt.

I've got my honey blonde in cobalt bottles from Midwest Supply, and, considering I've kept them out of any light (other than transferring them to the fridge or opening the fridge), they've remained tasty and free of skunking.

i got a lack of ambers myself dont fear the clear (i should catch phrase that) keep them out of the light and youll be fine. do you think companies would still be using clear and green bottles if they always got skunked beer? no im not going against amber(before someone says something against me) but if those cobalts look good to you go for it

Well, I keep my beers in a pantry where they get a little flourescent light and some diffused natural light. I think I'll just play it safe. They do look great, but I'd rather be practicle than flashy.

Back