Coated Kegs Ok for boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrburnsbud

Reaction score
I found a 10g-15g? keg at Liquor Depot for $20. The valve was damage and couldn't be returned to the distributed. Has the year 1986 stamped onit, along with the pressure and made in belgium.

I cut it open to find somekind of coating on the inside. I plan to use it as a boil kettle. Is the coating okay?

The keg should be SS.

Coating looks really dull, not shinny like the outside. It always scratched fairly easy with a screwdriver. This is my first keggle, never read anything about a coating.

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

I would say that you are all set. Look like any other keg i have seen.

Give a test boil, if the inside looks the same after the boil then I would say your fine. I've never heard of any coating on the inside.

No, definately not residue from cutting. The coating is either something applied when the keg was produced or its a layer of oxidization built up over the 22 years of service. Don't really know. I did do some searching today and found that you can buy coated kegs, pretty much top of the line. Maybe this is what I have. Sometime this week Ill do a pre-boil and report back if anything crazy occurs.

I cut the thing open with about 5 dremel wheels in all. Please don't laugh. :drunk:

No, definately not residue from cutting. The coating is either something applied when the keg was produced or its a layer of oxidization built up over the 22 years of service. Don't really know. I did do some searching today and found that you can buy coated kegs, pretty much top of the line. Maybe this is what I have. Sometime this week Ill do a pre-boil and report back if anything crazy occurs.

I cut the thing open with about 5 dremel wheels in all. Please don't laugh. :drunk:

Thats a record. It took me 6 :)

You did a good job at cutting too- I've seen worse jobs (*cough* bm *cough* :) )

Back