Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just get out the squirt bottle of soapy water and start the hunt. Begin at the tank and check each connection down the line until you find it. Not terribly complicated, but can get tedious sometimes.

From what I've read, you should be able to carbonate, and serve, about ten 5 gallon kegs from a 5# tank without issue.

I would triple check your system, and all connections, to ensure you don't have any leaks. Check the kegs for leaks too. I spray mine with StarSan after purging and then putting at least 15PSI to them to make sure they've sealed properly.

I also pressure/leak test my system (where the kegs go to serve/carbonate in the fridge) with 30psi anytime I make a change to the gas system. You can typically hear the leak at that pressure level. You can also locate slower leaks by simply setting the regulator to a decent pressure set (10-30psi), charge the system, and then turn off the tank valve. Make note of where the high pressure gauge reads at the start and then check it in 30-60 minutes. If there's zero change, let it run overnight and check again. If it's still not changed, you're leak free (if the temperature is constant). You could have a slight change if the temperature changes more than a few degrees.

This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I have my CO2 tank outside the brew fridge. I don't need to open the brew fridge door (where the faucets are) to check on the pressures at the regulator. It also means I have another spot for a keg. :rockin:

I'm using 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs right now (makes more sense for me). So far, I've managed to carbonate, and serve, three whole kegs (they've kicked) and have three more either carbonating or being served. I plan on putting another on that tank within the next few days.

I would suggest getting at least one 'spare' CO2 tank as soon as possible. Just means you don't need to worry, so much, when you deplete one tank...

Oh, and look for a fire extinguisher shop in your area. You can typically get CO2 tanks filled up there on the cheap (compared with exchanging them at welding shops, or the LHBS)... My 5# tank was $10 to fill. My 20# was $17... They do it while you wait, only taking a few minutes... So it's a win all around.

Oh, and look for a fire extinguisher shop in your area. You can typically get CO2 tanks filled up there on the cheap (compared with exchanging them at welding shops, or the LHBS)... My 5# tank was $10 to fill. My 20# was $17... They do it while you wait, only taking a few minutes... So it's a win all around.

Seconded. I got my 10# tank filled for $15 at the local fire extinguisher place. Stopped by on the way to work and it took about 5 minutes from pulling into the parking lot to pulling back onto the street.

Thanks for all you help I think I have found the leak on the pressure relief valve on top of one of my kegs

Back