CO2 vs. N2O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKB21

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I bought 6 Flojet syrup pumps to attach to my Wunderbar Gun. My question is simply whether it matters what gas is being fed into the pumps as far as CO2 vs. NO2. From my novel understanding, this gas serves as a suction for my BIBs. Say if I used CO2, would it ever carbonate the liquid being pumped? If there is I'd probably side with using NO2 because none of my drinks are carbonated. At that point though I was wondering how big of a price difference it would be for tank exchanges (in the US at least). Overall I'm just trying to understand how these pumps work and the best route to take given my situation.

Edit: Originally meant to say N2O, not NO2. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
You are not understanding how they work. The gas input to the pump is completely isolated from the product and only serves to drive the pump and is then vented to the air. In other words, the input shaft is driven by a turbine.

The reason why these gas pressure driven pumps are popular with BIB systems is that they usually ARE used for carbonated drinks so the system already requires a source of CO2 (injected elsewhere). Since you don't need CO2, you could have gone with electric diaphragm pumps or work with what you have and drive it with compressed air.

Compressed air has several advantages. It's cheaper than CO2, less impact to the environment, less chance of asphyxiation in enclosed spaces, and there's a shortage of CO2.

Compressed air has several advantages. It's cheaper than CO2, less impact to the environment, less chance of asphyxiation in enclosed spaces, and there's a shortage of CO2.
But on the other hand isn't it flammable in comparison to CO2 or NO2?

Compressed air is no more flamable than the air you are breathing right now. I dont mean pure oxygen. Just air from a compressor. By the way, the alternatives are co2 or pure nitrogen, not NO2. Nitrogen dioxide would be a very unpleasant gas to have in your house.

By the way, the alternatives are co2 or pure nitrogen, not NO2.
The OP may be referring to N2O, Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas.

But... beware of its dangers:
Nitrous oxide is a central nervous system depressant and when inhaled, it slows down the brain and body's responses, which can cause people to experience feelings of happiness, relaxation and euphoria, fits of giggles, and hallucinations and sound distortions.

Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a colorless gas stored as a liquid. Breathing nitrous oxide can cause dizziness, unconsciousness, and even death. Long-term exposure can lead to infertility...

It's also used in muscle cars...

Since the discussion is only about a source for pressurized gas of any type, it doesn't really matter. It's only to drive a turbine pump. For that reason, it would be best to stick with whatever is cheapest. However, the OP is apparently dispensing craft lemonade and I'm surprised none of them are offered sparkling.

However, the OP is apparently dispensing craft lemonade and I'm surprised none of them are offered sparkling.

We did for a bit but found it was more trouble than it was worth given the low demand.

isn't most n2o denatured also? unless we're talking whip-it's?
It does a great job building foam out of cream.
And as for cars, it's like adding extra cylinders when you hit "the bottle".
IIRC, they add sulfur dioxide to make breathing it unpleasant, all except the version sold for whipping cream.

Back