CO2 Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Sinclair

Reaction score
As pertains to the co2 regulators, is there anything special I would need for a 35# tank? Stroke of luck picked up this bad boy for less than $100 bucks on my local CL. Still new. Had it tested and it's gold! Just want to make sure the standard dual dial regulator I have now will work without having to worry about a dangerous situation or is there something special you need to have with these larger tanks? Thanx in advance.

As long as it's got the standard threads for the CGA320 connection that is standard on most c02 regulators, you're good to go (as long as you remember the washer). Safety-wise, it's taller than most tanks, so if you have a brace or stand from a previous setup you'll want to swap it out for something to keep it properly secure and upright. That height and weight pretty much guarantee regulator damage if it fell over. :thumbsup:

CO2 in a cylinder is mostly liquid (until the CO2 is almost gone.) Have you made sure that this is a gas output (top drawing) rather than liquid output (bottom drawing, aka siphon) CO2 cylinder? For kegging, we need gas output. 35 lb is an unusual size for beverage carbonation and serving.

Brew on :mug:

Yes, Broken Crow, I planned on securing to the wall with a brace. Yes, doug293cz, it is a gas output tank as opposed to a liquid output. Thanx for the help, guyz!

I'm curious as to your filling/replacement options with a tank of this type/size. One hopes you have received it with a decent fill still.

If it is close(r) to full it could last quite a long time! :)

Don't know if it's full or not, but a quick turn of the valve proves there's something in there. It's an aluminum tank and weighs in at just under 40 pounds as per my scale. Thanx.

Don't know if it's full or not, but a quick turn of the valve proves there's something in there. It's an aluminum tank and weighs in at just under 40 pounds as per my scale. Thanx.
There should be a tare weight stamped on the cylinder. Usually it's "TW" followed by a number. This is the empty weight of the cylinder. Subtract the tare weight from the current weight to get the amount of CO2 in the tank.

My aluminum 20 lb tank has a tare weight of 25.6 lb, so your tank is likely very close to empty.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back