Co2 tank wont open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went to open my co2 tank today to hook up two beers I just kegged and i can't turn the knob and it actually broke while I was trying to open it. Any clue why a co2 tank wouldn't open?

Isn't it "righty-loosy" on tanks? I'd check but I'm lazy...I always feel like I'm doing it wrong except the directions are on the turny thingy.

It's not common, but the valves can seize sometimes, and I don't know of any fix other than replacing. Did you buy the tank and have it filled, or do you do tank swaps? Either way, I'd suggest taking it back to whoever filled/swapped it for you.

Mine says pull up to adjust. Hope that helps.

You might be thinking about the regulator adjustment, and I think the OP is taking about the valve on top of the CO2 tank.

Isn't it "righty-loosy" on tanks? I'd check but I'm lazy...I always feel like I'm doing it wrong except the directions are on the turny thingy.

Every CO2 tank valve I've seen was standard threading, righty tighty - lefty loosey. Are you also maybe thinking of the regulator adjustment?

always counterclockwise to open a valve. look to see if the stem looks high- maybe it's already open and empty - this happens a lot when we get tanks at work.

Back