CO2 Tank Recertification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLDave1978

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a chance to buy a 20lb Co2 tank for about $38. Reading the kegging sticky though, I asked the seller if there is a certification stamp on the tank - there isn't.

Anyone have any idea as to what the cost to recertify a co2 tank is?

Thanks!

I just did this this week. I think the recert was 22. My total bill, recert, new valve, filled was 89

Holy freakin' crap, batman. Where I go its $30 to exchange an uncertified, empty or $15 to exchange an already certified, empty tank for a full one. They don't do fills though and its pretty much 20 lb. tanks only.

EDIT: I just realized you also had work done on your tank so that may have raised the price.

So I guess it depends on where I go.

It was filled in 2004 and I am told it has not been used, so apparently it's full. I offered $30 for it. I figured if it has air in it, great I use it until empty then pay to get it recertified.

Definitely pick it up. Around here it's rare to find a 20 lb tank for less than $90. I haven't had to recertify a tank yet, but I hear it costs between $10 to $20 to do.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it probably is already certified. Around here you can't get one filled unless they are, he just may not know what to look for as far as the stamp. If it was filled in 04 it should still be ok and can be refilled with out getting recertified.

Hi all,

I have a chance to buy a 20lb Co2 tank for about $38. Reading the kegging sticky though, I asked the seller if there is a certification stamp on the tank - there isn't.

Anyone have any idea as to what the cost to recertify a co2 tank is?

Thanks!

Depends on if there's anyone in town that can do it for you. Here, there isn't, so the welding supply place had to send it to Richmond and it took like 3 and a half weeks to get back, and cost me about $20 all told. Might be a different story if there's a place close by that will recert it for ya.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it probably is already certified. Around here you can't get one filled unless they are, he just may not know what to look for as far as the stamp. If it was filled in 04 it should still be ok and can be refilled with out getting recertified.

Yes it would have had to have had a stamp when it was originally manufactured and tested. AS far as if it was filled in 04 then it would still be good, That was 4 years ago, It could have easily went out of certification by then. For all we know 04 was the final year on he certification.

Look around places and also check if you can swap for another one. Don't mention your isn't certified, just say i need to swap for a full one.

I just had a scuba tank rehydro'd and that was 20 bucks. Don't know how it compares. though. never had a CO2 tank go out on me.

I brought my out of date 20#tank to an AirGas location once, they didn't care. Just swapped it out for a newer filled one for 35 bucks.

It probably does need certification if it was last filled 4 years ago since the stamp is only good for 5 years (as mentioned he could have been in any year of the cert when last filled).

I have taken tanks to both AirGas and Praxair and both times they didn't care it was out of cert, they swapped me a tank anyway that was certified.

I brought my 20# tank to a fire extinguisher place and they tested and fill for about... hmm I think it was $40 but it could have been closer to $50... can't remember.

The guy at Tech Air didn't even look at the tank just gave me another. I can't believe the price difference from local to local.

Cost me $17.50+ tax to exchange a 20lb tank.And the one he gave me was a shiny new aluminum tank.

Thanks for the answers all.

I bought it - $30 final price. Pick it up next week.

Now, I have to figure out how to the wife I also need a regulator.....oh yeah, and a freezer! Have some Home Depot gift cards that we were going to use for a grill, I have a feeling it will be going toward something else!!!! :tank:

I can't believe the price difference from local to local.

Seriously!! You have to call around when you're looking. My LHBS wanted $40 to refill, a fire extinguisher place wanted $60, and Airgas only wanted $15 for an exchange that took less than a minute.

Back