CO2 tank problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMiles74

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the kegging scene and I'm having some trouble with co2 tanks going empty on me quick. This is the second time its happened to me. After the first time I lost all my co2 I double checked all the connections to make sure there were no leaks and I didn't find any. Next I turned the pressure to 20 psi n left it. Checked it two days later and everything looked fine...holding pressure at 20 psi and didn't look to be losing any co2. Well come back 4 days after that and the co2 tank is empty!? So my questions are:
What gives?
Can the keg itself be faulty?
Should I turn off the co2 when not in use (ie when I'm not pouring myself a beer)?
Will my beer be ok until I get another co2 tank? (Won't be able to drive an hour to get one till next week)
Any and all advice would be great!
Thanks- jason

First of all relax, your beer will be fine.
Check all the connections from bottle to keg with a solution of Starsan or dishsoap in water. Any bubbles will indicate a leak(there has to be a leak somewhere).
Replace the o-rings on the keg posts, I try to replace mine every time I fill the keg because I've lost beer and CO2 to bad o-rings.
Is the regulator new and does it have a nylon washer or o-ring between it and the bottle?

First of all relax, your beer will be fine.
Check all the connections from bottle to keg with a solution of Starsan or dishsoap in water. Any bubbles will indicate a leak(there has to be a leak somewhere).
Replace the o-rings on the keg posts, I try to replace mine every time I fill the keg because I've lost beer and CO2 to bad o-rings.
Is the regulator new and does it have a nylon washer or o-ring between it and the bottle?

+1 on the dish soap or Starsan. What I'd do is check every connection between the CO2 bottle and the keg, then carb up your keg, remove the CO2 and check both posts, thoroughly. I'm betting you probably have a leaky poppet or bad O-ring. Both are pretty inexpensive fixes, but will cost you in CO2 refills. Found that out the hard way myself!

Check the connections. Check the seals on the keg. I have had some leaks where the lid meets, as well as there can be leaks near the posts. Keg lube works well for the kegs themselves and thorough checking works for the lines.

If all else fails. Could be the co2 tank. I bought a refurbish ten pound tank from a vender here and it turned out to be a poor product. About two refills and 6 months later I found out the tank itself is defective. It was my backup tank, so I didn't really investigate / test it when it arrived.

If your gas lines weren't hard to get on the barbs, they're probably leaking. I had a lot of slow leak problems until I switched from standard couplers to flares with 3/8 gas barbs and 5/16 hose. Had to heat the tubing to fit, but have now been on the same 30# tank for over a year. Note that I also have a new regulator an my tank has been hydroed, so I knew that wasn't the problem.

Back