CO2 tank and reg... is this a good $?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelfthman01

Reaction score
CO2 Regulator and Tank

Is this a fair price? Assuming it's a 5 lb tank (appears to be). Of course it is Empty and he says it has no stickers or anything indicating the last inspection/ test.

I have heard people say you can find a 5 or 10 with some juice left in it for about the same price - still true? I've not seen anything yet to indicate that.

That regulator looks pretty old to me. Not sure I'd spend money on it. This probably belongs in the kegging section though...

That is the wrong kind of regulator for kegging. You'd only be buying the tank, and for that price, that is steep.

A new 5lb tank runs about ~$55, a new regulator ~$30. The regulator should actually be the correct type. Guys using 'em for aquariums have very similar needs for low pressure output.

So, basically you'd be buying the tank and getting the regulator free. I've never really seen the point of buying a brand new tank. It's much easier to just exchange them at the gas distributor, and keep picking up tanks that are within their hydro cert.

The certification should be stamped into the metal of the tank. Have the seller look for numbers stamped into the top of the tank. You're interested in the most recent date stamp. As long as it's within 5 years, you're good for an exchange without having to pay for testing (usually ~$12-15 in my area).

Back