co2 regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhpark132

Reaction score
Just set up my kegging system - utilizing a 6.1 cu.ft. igloo brand kegerator (picked up from Home Depot on advice of people on these forums - thanks!) that I've modified slightly to hold two corny kegs. Fridge holds temp well at 36 degrees F.

I just kegged the first batch into the system - an american raspberry wheat that I already had going, and am force carbing it set to 10 psi on the regulator.

I'm noticing however that the pressure guage on the regulator showing pressure to the kegs (where Ihave it set to 10 psi), is slowly dropping throughout the day. When Igot home yesterday it was down to approx 7 psi. I adjusted it back up to 10psi and tightened the lock nut on the regulator.

I tested the system for leaks initially with a spray solution of star-san and didn't notice any leaks then.

Is something like this normal? or is there something that I missed that I need to examine closer?

Any help is appreciated.

That's not normal behavior. There should be no creep once the pressure is set.

Is the tank/regulator inside the kegerator? If so, were they already cold when you initially set the reg to 10 PSI? If they were warm, I could see how it might initially drop, but it should maintain the PSI setting once it has been cold for a while.

The valve on the c02 tank is open, and both the tank and regulator are inside the fridge. The fridge had been on for a while, but the tank and regulator were room temp when they went in on sunday.

I initially thought that the lock nut for the regulator dial was loose and not holding for that reason and I tightened it up last night and haven't checked it since.

Okay, well hopefully the pressure setting holding steady now that the tank, gas, and regulator are at fridge temps. If it's still creeping, then I would suspect a defective regulator.

Thanks for the help. I'll check the pressure when Iget home today.

Is this an issue that will prevent the keg Ihave in there from carbonating (read - go out and replace regulator ASAP), or something that I can leave for the near future (a week or so once this batch is carbed)?

No, I wouldn't say it's an urgent issue as long as the pressure settles somewhere. It would just be a source of frustration if you have to keep monkeying with it due to it not staying put where you set it.

Looks like the temperature of the tank hadn't quite settled down - it's been holding steady at 10psi since Tuesday. Opting for the nice slow carb method - going to keep it set at 10psi for two weeks before I monkey with it further.

One last question (and forgive me if this seems like a rookie question) - once the keg is carbonated, do you keep the co2 tank open, or shut off the feed to that keg?

Keep it open. If you close it, it will still push (for a while) as long as there is positive pressure in the keg, but it will lose a little carb with every draw as CO2 in the beer escapes into the additional headspace that is created from drawing liquid out of the keg.

Ok sorry to bring up
An old thread but same thing happened to me with putting a room temp co2 bottle and reg into the fridge during force carb should I just re-set to my vol and be good?

Latest posts

Back