Co2 Regulator Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradyj23

Reaction score
I have a Cornelius secondary regulator. I hate it but would like to get it to work. This is the second Cornelius regulator I've had. Nothing but problems. They have cost me 3-4 10 lbs. tanks due to leaks through the weep hole. Anyway, I swapped out tanks today and hooked the new tank up. Checked for leaks and found nothing. Hooked up my keg to carbonate(12 psi). Came back 30 minutes later to recheck and no leaks. 4 hours later I have a massive leak out of the weep hole. Lost probably 3/4 of the CO2 tank. Broke down the regulator thinking I had a ripped diaphragm. I don't. I cannot find anything wrong with it. The only thing I can find is on the front housing. It looks like there is a small nick in 1 of the 2 rings on the housing. Will this small of a nick cause me this many problems? Anything I can do to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-0835.JPG
    IMG-0835.JPG
    774.7 KB · Views: 29
That's hella worse than a "nick". Frankly it's amazing that reg held pressure for a minute, never mind 30.
A rebuild kit for a Cornelius secondary regulator goes for around $12-15 plus s&h.
A couple of examples:

http://bcibeverage.com/cornelius-secondary-reg-rebuild-kit.html
http://wholesalebeerparts.com/repair-kit-for-cornelius-secondary-regulators.html

Be sure to get the kit for a secondary regulator - it should come with a gray O-ring to replace your destroyed one, not a red O-ring (which is for primary regulators)...

Cheers!

Thanks day_tripper. However that isn't an O ring. That is the cast metal of the front housing. There is no O ring in that area. Just the black rubber diaphragm, which is just sandwiched between the front and back metal casings. There are no cuts/tears in the rubber. This is why I'm confused. I don't want to do a rebuild if it won't fix anything.

Last edited:
So I just got an email from Cornelius. They said the same thing. They sent me a picture of the regulator break down. What kills me is that my regulator doesn't even have a Gasket Baffle. My first regulator from Cornelius (returned and replaced with this one) didn't have that gasket either. Really pisses me off since all of these issues and lost CO2 have been because of build quality.

Latest posts

Back