CO2 regulator just emptied my tank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
What just happened to me?? I just took my co2 tank to be refilled. I hooked it back up and bang... about 3/4 of my tank leaked straight through the valve in the regulator. Not sure of the technical name, but it is where you pull the little split pin to bleed your system.

So my question is why did this happen and how do I fix it? I just paid $17 for my tank to be filled and not looking forward to having to go back and pay it again.

Thats the pressure release valve. They'll blow at about 70psi, IIRC. you probably had the regulator wide open.

Where did you get the regulator? usually they have instructions.

Thats the pressure release valve. They'll blow at about 70psi, IIRC. you probably had the regulator wide open.

Where did you get the regulator? usually they have instructions.

Synovia, thanks. You were exactly right, the regulator was turned way open. Weird, as I had it set to a steady 12 psi. My old tank was empty and I just unscrewed it and screwed the new one back on. I didn't even touch the pressure adjusting valve. You learn something new every day with this hobby.

Back