Co2 Regulatar Too Sensitive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just started kegging with a Cornelius keg. All equipment I got was a result of a friend's recent divorce.

I want to know if this is normal. I read I should start off at 20 PSI for a couple of days, release the pressure and then set it at 10 PSI for serving. That seems nearly impossible. Just as quickly as I turn it on the PSI jumps quickly past 20. Any level I have it set for just keeps readily climbing. I end up turning it off and let it go down for a while and pump some more Co2 into it again when it gets below 20 psi and repeat.

Are all regulators this sensitive? And for the record, I don't understand what the screw part is supposed to do. I've messed with it and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Sounds like you have a bad regulator. The screw part on the regulator is your pressure adjustment screw. If turning it does nothing than the reg is bad.

Try turning the screw all the way counterclockwise, this should get you to zero pressure output.

If you are using the valve handle to adjust pressure, don't. Try what BILTIT suggests. Turn the adjusting screw all the way left, opposite a normal valve. Open the valve on the bottle, then turn the screw slowly right until you get the pressure you desire. You should have two pressure gauges, one for the tank and the other for the line into the keg.

There could be a few things wrong with your set up.

It sounds to me like you are not sure how the regulator works, watch this and then report back if you are still having problems.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDph6lViNU[/ame]

Back