co2 readings have me puzzled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yehaww

Reaction score
I picked up a 5lb tank today to carb my kegs. I read here that readings on a cold tank can get a little weird but I guess I just want some second opinions.

The tank read 1000 psi when I brought it home. My keg was already cold. It's around 40 in the fridge. I checked for leaks and it all seemed secure. I hooked up the gas line to my keg and set it for 12 psi. I checked about 2 hours later and the gauge to my keg was at zero and the tank gauge was at 700. I readjusted the screw for 12psi and will just check again in a while. Just thought I'd see if this sounded normal to you all. I've read that there will lots of readjusting in the beginning.

The tank gauge will change with temperature since it's just a matter of how much CO2 is in the vapor phase. The PSI output of the regulator should not change as far as I know.

The tank gauge will change with temperature since it's just a matter of how much CO2 is in the vapor phase. The PSI output of the regulator should not change as far as I know.

Yeah that was strange. It was at 12 when I put in all in the fridge and then it was at zero when I peeked in. I had to turn the adjusting screw to get it back up to 12.

I also noticed the roof of the fridge has a lot of water drops hanging from it. Is this a sign of just cooling down the co2 tank or that there could be a leak of some sort? Actually just checked it again, it's frozen water on the ceiling of the fridge. I have the fridge dial set at 4 and last time I checked the temp it was around 40.

I hooked up the gas line to my keg and set it for 12 psi.

wrong order of operation... set the regulator before hooking it up to a keg. or if your regulator has a valve right after it, shut the valve before adjusting the regulator.

the gauges on the regulator only read the current pressure in the line, not what the knob is set to. the diference is that if there is still gas flowing into the keg, pressure will read lower than actually set. or if the keg pressure is higher than the regulator is set to, and theres no check valve, the gauges will read high.

My regulator pressure to the keg gauge will change depending on the temperature. If I set it at 12 outside the fridge then throw the co2 bottle in the fridge, the keg reading will either go up or down a bit. Need to reset it a few times to keep it holding 12. So yes, all normal.

Back