co2 pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishplague

Reaction score
Last night I hooked up my c02 to my keg, set my desired pressure, checked for leaks, and stuck it in the kegerator to carbonate. This morning I get up and check it out and the pressure was was at 5 instead of 11, does this mean the beer absorbed the pressure, or do I have a leak?

Last night I hooked up my c02 to my keg, set my desired pressure, checked for leaks, and stuck it in the kegerator to carbonate. This morning I get up and check it out and the pressure was was at 5 instead of 11, does this mean the beer absorbed the pressure, or do I have a leak?

If we're to assume you disconnected the gas line before you put the keg in the chiller, then yes, the beer absorbed some of the CO2 in the head space.

Otoh, if the keg is still connected to your CO2 and the gas hasn't been turned off, something else is going on...

Cheers!

I didn't disconnect the gas line overnight, so I must have a leak somewhere. I sprayed all the connections and seals with sanitizer and saw no leaks, must be a really slow leak. This is my first attempt kegging so i still have alot to learn.

Yep, I sealed it up, purged out the air with co2, set my pressure, and put it in the cooler.

Yeah, I went home for lunch just now and its holding 11 since i reset it at 7:30 am, I wondered if the temp change effected it, Thanks Bobby for validating my hunch.

Yes the temperature was the culprit. CO2 diffuses into the beer more readily at colder temperatures.Thats why its best to chill to kegerator temp before applying pressure.

The temperature actually affected the working parts of the regulator (the pressure spring) so that's why the pressure dropped. It had nothing to do with the temp of the beer. The regulator doesn't know what temp the beer is.

The temperature actually affected the working parts of the regulator (the pressure spring) so that's why the pressure dropped. It had nothing to do with the temp of the beer. The regulator doesn't know what temp the beer is.

Totally true.

What might be a concern, however, is a regulator that is temperature sensitive. Neither of my gas rigs has exhibited any sensitivity to being stuck in a fridge, in temps down to 34°F. Set to 12psi at room temperature, they were holding 12psi in the cold...

Cheers!

Back